Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Mechanic in Central Massachusetts

I'm looking for a good (reasonable) independent Subaru mechanic in the Worcester area of Massachusetts. Any suggestions...need clutch replaced and possibly timing belt. Got a quote of $900 from a local Subaru dealer for clutch replacement in my 98 Outback. Found an Exedy clutch kit online for $140 and hope to find someone to install it.

Go to cartalk.com and look in the mechanix files. There are a lot of good Subaru shops that arn't listed by the make - mine isn't - but they show nearly 30 independent garages in Worcester alone.

In general you won't find many good mechanics that are willing to let you buy mechanical parts and have them installed. First, if it's not the right part they won't have any way to get the right stuff quickly. Second, they won't be familiar with the service life of the product you select or how it may hold up. Fnally, they base their labor rates on also making some margin on parts and may charge more accordingly. But you can always ask.