Ultimate Subaru Message Board

custom c.v's

monstaru

at what point has anybody stopped messing with our stock suspensions on ea81 vehicles?am i wrong to think that you could extend your c.v. axle according to how much lift you have and get a better response from them?who, if anyone has attempted this and what results did you get?

a friend of mine and i have been discussing doing this for my brat.are there charts that describe the stock angle ?where to find them?thanks, brian

Well yes you are right that if you lengthened an axle, you could run more lift with the same joint/angle restrictions, and ive thought about this as well, BUT you would also have to lengthen the lower control arm, the steering arms, the anti-roll bar, the nuckle/shock would need to be pushed out/away from the body in accord with the ammount you lengthen you axle. or you could leave the shock mount virtical and fabricate a mount that "doglegs" to the new location of your steering nuckle. ?? All in all it would be pretty freaken cool, and it would be the lift i would most definately want, but you would need to use a auto CAD or something to make sure the geometry is correct/even and what not. If you can, go for it.

This would also be a excelent mod, for the rear wheel drive people. insane ammounts of suspension, and you dont need to worry about the axles.

An inch won't make much difference in angles, and if you dont make the track wider the cups will bottom out when you stuff the suspension. Welding to the shafts is a no-no, they are hardened and will be severely weakened from welding. One thing you can do is put ea82 DOJ cups on both ends of your axles in the rear, this will give you the ability for several extra inches of travel, all you need to do is find a shock absorber with the right length and travel.

Monstaru, yes it can be done... I went to the boneyard and found a set of ea82 axles (just happened to be off of an XT, but not important). you can take off the outer CV joints and put on the Outers from your EA81 vehicle, this will increase them in length by approximately 2 inches. HOWEVER, I am lenthening everything in the suspenision too, by sectioning and lengthening the control arms, etc... the vehicle is still by far ready from being driven, but thats one of the things I am working on.

-Mike

Monstaru, yes it can be done... I went to the boneyard and found a set of ea82 axles (just happened to be off of an XT, but not important). you can take off the outer CV joints and put on the Outers from your EA81 vehicle, this will increase them in length by approximately 2 inches. HOWEVER, I am lenthening everything in the suspenision too, by sectioning and lengthening the control arms, etc... the vehicle is still by far ready from being driven, but thats one of the things I am working on.

-Mike

EA82 axles are 2" longer.... as well as control arms and such? All that work to get upto stock EA82 suspension? Or am I missreading this information?

Thx

the front inner cups on the early legacys may interchange, and they are a bit deeper. don't know if anybody has confirmed this yet.

the way my lift is set-up, I actually have 1" less of max downtravel, relative to the tranny, so I will never extend as far as a stock set-up would allow, but because of my RX springs, and adjusters all the way up, I am running all the time at "almost extended". I have urethaned tranny mounts too, to limit side to side movement which used to kill my axles even sooner. I've maybe gone about 1000 miles on this set of axles. I have one with a pretty deep clunk in it now. (could be an older axle, not sure)

Either I pay to have some customs axles made, or I just deal with replacing them often (my choice so far)

The options for custom axles would be to either have a deeper DOJ, and or some sort of custom slip joint shaft....

• 3 weeks later...
The options for custom axles would be to either have a deeper DOJ, and or some sort of custom slip joint shaft....

we had subaru powered sandrail/offroader come into our workshop to have the rollcage welded and it had spline type driveshafts to allow it to have an outrageous amount of suspension travel on the rear end....come to think of it they looked suspisiously like agricultural PTO drives......i should have taken more notice but it was first thing monday morning what can i say.....