Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For the outback I bought four used blizzaks, four steel wheels, and four hubcaps from a board member and I have had great luck with them. I see no reason not to buy used tires as long as they are all the same tire with adequately similar circumference.

In the spring I will probably be buying OEM takeoff alloy wheels and tires for the XJ.

You can buy new oem take-offs for 25 a pop. Haven't tried the tires, but why buy used tires? Why put 100 dollar tires on a 2 to 25 thousand dollar car? The one thing that will make a huge difference in your ability to steer and stop is the tires. Why skimp there?
I am not really skimping.

Just found a great deal, wheels,tires,lugs for $200.

Even if the tires only last me a couple of seasons I think it is a pretty good deal.

You're right. That's a good buy. New studded snows here run 200 - 300 (and up), but I put a new set on every 2 years. I spend too much time driving in snow and ice to mess around. If the roads down there aren't that bad, you can probably get away with it. Heck, just changing a flat tire at -30 is no fun.

You're right. That's a good buy. New studded snows here run 200 - 300 (and up), but I put a new set on every 2 years. I spend too much time driving in snow and ice to mess around. If the roads down there aren't that bad, you can probably get away with it. Heck, just changing a flat tire at -30 is no fun.
I have never had snow tires before. We got them for my wife's honda this year and I am sold. I cannot wait to see what AWD and snow tires are like!!

How much should I pay for 15 black steel rims for a legacy?

Anyone use MICHELIN ARTIC ALPIN SNOWS tires? Likes or dislikes?

I found a set of used and wonder if I should go for them.

Here is a link for steel rims:

http://www.halspartsandservice.com/Default.htm

I picked up steel rims for my 93 Legacy wagon at junkyards for about $20 each but that is 14" and you will need 15".

We have a 96 OBW with your exact same setup. We got the Blizzak package (tires on their own rims) from Tire Rack. We are on our 4th season. They are OUTSTANDING! You will notice the difference in snow tires on our Subarus when it comes to stopping. AWD with all season tires are pretty decent in getting started in snow and ice but fail miserably when it comes time to stop. The Blizzaks will stop on ice with very little ABS action.

I have read good things about the Alpins too. Go to http://www.tirerack.com and read the reviews of Subaru owners who put Alpins on their cars. I have Dunlop Graspics on my 93 Legacy AWD wagon. They are a very good tire and less expensive then the other 2 options. I found them to be a great value when I factor price and performance.

$200 for what you mentioned is a great deal. If you don't buy them somebody should!

I passed on a set of those based on ratings off TireRack site by peole who have used them. Some issues with delaminations and comments about good hard pack and ice performance but weak in deep snow. Depends on what you're most often faced with for road conditions.

I've used Semperit Sport Grip for two winters great tires for a reasonable price

were $52 each in 205/60-15 used on a 98 GT, remove 16 inch OEM wheels with the 205/55-16 for the winter. Directional tread pattern word well here in VT with heavy snows.

As for wheels I've found that certain Chrysler wheesl fit Subarus. Have a set of Caravan alloys off an older model (1989 I think) with same bolt pattern, 5 x 100. Wheels have slightly larger center hole meaning they are mounted bolt centric, not hub centric. Offset differs by about 8mm so slightly wider stance and perhaps some marginal extra loading of the wheel bearings. Set up was "blessed" by my local Subaru mechanic. I do remember Subaru using a Ronal wheel on the Outback SUS a few years back, car had wider than stock look so suspect they were not standard offset as well. The four wheels cost me $100.

Good Luck

Glenn

How much should I pay for 15 black steel rims for a legacy?

Anyone use MICHELIN ARTIC ALPIN SNOWS tires? Likes or dislikes?

I found a set of used and wonder if I should go for them.

I was thinking that myself about other models vehicle wheels.

At the local jy today I saw tons of wheels and they only charge $6.99 per 15 wheel.

Anyone know any other vehicles that have the same bolt pattern and offset?

I also talked to the seller, they have 50% tread left and they want $250. So I think I am going to pass on these and source them myself.

I passed on a set of those based on ratings off TireRack site by peole who have used them. Some issues with delaminations and comments about good hard pack and ice performance but weak in deep snow. Depends on what you're most often faced with for road conditions.

I've used Semperit Sport Grip for two winters great tires for a reasonable price

were $52 each in 205/60-15 used on a 98 GT, remove 16 inch OEM wheels with the 205/55-16 for the winter. Directional tread pattern word well here in VT with heavy snows.

As for wheels I've found that certain Chrysler wheesl fit Subarus. Have a set of Caravan alloys off an older model (1989 I think) with same bolt pattern, 5 x 100. Wheels have slightly larger center hole meaning they are mounted bolt centric, not hub centric. Offset differs by about 8mm so slightly wider stance and perhaps some marginal extra loading of the wheel bearings. Set up was "blessed" by my local Subaru mechanic. I do remember Subaru using a Ronal wheel on the Outback SUS a few years back, car had wider than stock look so suspect they were not standard offset as well. The four wheels cost me $100.

Good Luck

Glenn

My 1997 OBW has the Michelin Artic Alpine tires mounted on steel Forrester rims.

I bought the tires/rims used and they are on their 3rd season with at least another season left in them. I drive approximately 20,000 Km each winter.

They are awesome on our winter roads which include packed snow/ice. They also have great handling characteristics on dry pavement.

I am extremely happy with this combination and will replace with the same when the time comes.

Once you install a set of winter tires on an AWD vehicle, you'll look for unplowed roads after a snowfall just because you know you can...