Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help me defeat a pathalogical liar, plz.

Hey guys,

I am currently a student at a tech school known as WyoTech, or Wyoming Technical Institute, and you would not believe some of the tall tales people tell about their cars around here. I personally drive a 94 Legacy 4AT which I love (except I wish it were a stick!), so I have no issues being honest about my ride...heck, when it snows I can finally run circles around the Camaros, lol.

Here is my conundrum. I was talking with a guy last night at class who tells me about his car, a 99 Forester. I say, "Hey, is that the green one?" "Yeah," he says. So I know it is a Forester L because I have seen it and I am kinda a badge junky (sorry, lol). He then says "...turbo." I immediately blurt, "No, it's not." which then degraded into a silly sounding argument. He asked some other guys around about it, and one says "Yeah, you can get Subarus with a factory turbo" but I corrected him, saying "No, unless he got a transplant [which he denied] he is not driving a turbo; the only turbo'd Forester is the XT which wasn't around till '03, and no Subarus came with a factory turbo between '94 and '02 (late) with the WRX."

So, I still want to be humble and open to being wrong, but if you could dispell this myth for me that would be awesome.

thanks in advance!

-Roy

Ah yes wyotech. I had a friend who attended there. The first time I ever saw a student with a leaf blower on a 3 inch lifted metro...seriously.

I used to be the same way. I've learned life is too short to argue over what someone thinks my or their car has. But if it really bugs you that much you could print out the specifications online of the years or just pop the hood :P

Oh come on! You canhave more fun with him than that. Let him brag it up first, agree with him how awesome it is, then have him run a 1/4 for time. Show him the doggy time and comment that maybe his "turbo" need some tuning. Have him show it to you then (after the humiliating 1/4 mile time and his inability to point to it).:lol: Then show him this thread.

Just ask him more details about his turbo. Ask who installed it (since we all know its not factory). Then ask what his boost is at, and if he plans on installing an intercooler (unless he sais he has one already).

I used to have a roomate who was a pathological liar. Most of them dont even know they're lying. They just say things they hope is true, to grab attention.

Just bombard him with questions until he fess's up and sais "okay okay, i dont even know what a turbo is" :)

-Brian

Is it a European import?

We have had a Forester XT, with a "detuned" Impreza WRX engine giving 177bhp for quite some time. Including the old shape.

Not sure what was offered stateside, though.

But I must agree: Pop the hood.

OR, just leave it closed, because it will have a scoop for the top mounted intercooler if it has a turbocharger.

I worked with a pathy for a couple of years. It was funny. ANYWHERE you say you've been, he'd been there, too....GREW UP there, actually. Any activity you could mention that you have partaken in, he'd been doing all his life. Or his mom used to do it. I think it was a salesman thing. He could make a connection with his mark ...er... customer by having something in common:

"You breed marmots for their spleens in Waukesha? I've been doing that all my life. Family's big on marmot breeding. I grew up in Waukesha."

"Oh yeah? What part?"

"Uh ... oh ... uh ... we lived on ... uh ...."

riiiiiiiiiight:lol:

So, as mentioned above ... ask specific questions that should have unequivocal answers. He should know where he had it done, how much it cost, etc., without having to stop and think. This would also avoid making yourself look like you're trying to catch him in a lie. You're just making conversation.

I used to work with a girl who told us about their "house with a glass roof"! She said she would lay on her back in her bedroom and just watch shirtless construction workers on the roof. Also, she said that their house had glass walls, and her brother always tried to watch her undress!:rolleyes: It's really funny, because everyone knew where she lived, plus, nobody would want to watch her undress!:-p

hey I go to WyoTech too, and I can vouch that there are plenty of people there who are FULL OF S***T!!! (Including the instructors, in some cases)... What class are you in? I'm finishing up Drivetrain, will be in EMS next phase, then on to chassis fab and street rod :brow: I'm in day classes.. I've seen a Legacy there before, a couple actually, the one I remember seeing is like a champagne color with (I think) blue striping on the sides. I don't have my Subie here yet, I've got a 92 Dodge Ram, white and charcoal, with a white canopy, and a USMB sticker in the back window) and I'm hauling my 87 Turbowagon out here when I come back from Christmas Break!

Oh I can also vouch for some of the people here being complete and utter morons, one of the guys in my class, along with his room mate (who happens to be one of the Chassis instructors sons (Larry) just got busted last weekend for stealing like fifty grand worth of tools from one of the EMS Instructor's construction sites (The cops filled a Tahoe with all the stuff they had stolen) and the one kid I overheard talking about how much he hates cops, and I'm sitting there thinking "Why, cuz you are dumb enough to steal 50 grand worth of tools?" I swear, sometimes I think I go to Wyoming Technincal High School, the way some if the people here act! But I came here for Street Rod stuff, not auto tech, just in the auto stuff because the stupid admissions rep told me my previous auto degree would not transfer, when in fact it would and I would be in street rod right now :banghead: