Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Answer needed asap on d/r swap!!

hidey ho

as my other thread says in the marketplace forum i am looking for a 87-89 gl wagon with the d/r...well, they seem to be very hard to find at this time of year, so, have a line on a real nice 93 w/low miles and the pushbutton 4wd and was wondering how much it would cost to convert it to the d/r....if it is cost effective then i will probably buy it(pending driving it first of course :) ), so, an estimated cost and time would be greatly appreciated as i do not have a car and i need one for work...

thanx!

email me at babylonfivefan@hotmail.com or you can call me at 425-836-9613 this evening or any evening or tomorrow on my cell phone at 303-929-5044..colorado area code as i havent changed it yet...

alan

its not that hard.. the driveshafts are the same. Up here in alaska D/R trannys are about 400 bucks at a JY. If you find a good yard thats got one, see if you can give them your single range and some cash for a dual range.

Make SURE you get all the D/R shift linkage

Time involved, depends on the person and how its done.

I pull the engine out and then the tranny out through the hood. I dont mess with doing it from under the car, cuz its a lil more dangerous, and it seems easier to me to pull the engine. Having the donor tranny and all the tools needed, it'd take me about 4 1/2 hours on my car (no rust)

Single to dual range, you are gonna have to cut the holes bigger for the d/r shifters.

if one is to be found on my side of the state itis 50 bucks for the tranny....i am sure that one of the guys on your side could help you find one, and probably help install it.just find out what years are compatible.i would imagine you could accomplish it if you took the time.get the car with a single range and take your time finding a low mileage tranny for it...it will come around if you utilize your resources properly.i.e. telephone the junkyards,keep your eyes open for wrecked soobs,etc.