Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need CATALYTIC source?! Got any?

Hi ALL!

My 1997 GT 2.5 DOHC now needs a front CAT. Anyone have any good success with any sources? I've stubled upon these guy's here. Anyone familair with them? I know about 1st Subaru Parts, I can get one there for $476.00. These guy's are $180.00 for a direct OEM replacement, makes me wonder!

http://www.import-catalytic-converter-warehouse.com/

Thanks, SubeeTed

Hi ALL!

My 1997 GT 2.5 DOHC now needs a front CAT. Anyone have any good success with any sources? I've stubled upon these guy's here. Anyone familair with them? I know about 1st Subaru Parts, I can get one there for $476.00. These guy's are $180.00 for a direct OEM replacement, makes me wonder!

http://www.import-catalytic-converter-warehouse.com/

Thanks, SubeeTed

It made me wonder too, so I bought one. It is about a 98% match. Not perfect but VERY usable and there was no grinding or cutting or welding. In all fairness to Import-Cat I need to remember I was trying to bolt a brand new piece on a car with 150,000 miles so the other parts of the exhaust could have sagged some and the CAT may have been perfect.

I replaced the rear CAT on my wifes 96 OBW with 2.2. I got new gaskets, springs and bolts from the dealer and that made it go much better as I didin't have to be careful taking anything off. The 02 sensor threaded in like butter.

1st Source are good guys, but $300 difference is a lot of $$ difference. I am plaesed with my purchase from Import-Cat.

Only suggestion to Import-Cat, what in the heck kind of web address is that!? Why not make it a paragraph long while they were at it :-)

Greg

I forgot to add, shipping was free.

Thanks for your info. But does it pass the BIG test? Does your Check Engine Light stay OFF!? I need this to pass my MAss emissions inspection, if it does keep that friendly CEL off it's useless!

Many thanks for your reply, SubeeTed

It made me wonder too, so I bought one. It is about a 98% match. Not perfect but VERY usable and there was no grinding or cutting or welding. In all fairness to Import-Cat I need to remember I was trying to bolt a brand new piece on a car with 150,000 miles so the other parts of the exhaust could have sagged some and the CAT may have been perfect.

I replaced the rear CAT on my wifes 96 OBW with 2.2. I got new gaskets, springs and bolts from the dealer and that made it go much better as I didin't have to be careful taking anything off. The 02 sensor threaded in like butter.

1st Source are good guys, but $300 difference is a lot of $$ difference. I am plaesed with my purchase from Import-Cat.

Only suggestion to Import-Cat, what in the heck kind of web address is that!? Why not make it a paragraph long while they were at it :-)

Greg

I forgot to add, shipping was free.

I do believe it would be you O2 sensor that keeps the CEL off. I gutted my cat and my CEL is off.

I beleive you have an O2 before the cat and one after. I still do not believe you would have a problerm. All cats have to meet a certain standard in order to be sold. Even the high-flow cats have to be made to the EPA standards.

But the $180.00 cat. You should be just fine.

Thanks for your info. But does it pass the BIG test? Does your Check Engine Light stay OFF!? I need this to pass my MAss emissions inspection, if it does keep that friendly CEL off it's useless!

Many thanks for your reply, SubeeTed

I replaced it because the rear flange rusted apart on the original rear CAT. It never was an emissions issue. The CEL was not on previous and it had not come on for a CAT issue since.