Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power Door lock locks when closing door

Everytime i close the driver door all the doors lock automatically.

I took the door apart and it seems that the locking mechanism is to loose. it is too easy to move back and forth and so the banging of closing the door causes it to lock it and all the other doors. three of the four doors are now doing it. also you can get locked in the back seat because when you pull the handle the door also locks ?

1990 legacy wagon 4Wd auto PW,PL

My front passenger door wouldn't stay in the unlock position. The only remedy was to replace the interior door handle/lock button unit.

Turns out that the spring that returns the chrome door handle thingy to home position had broken the plastic hook that holds it and the spring was now pushing against the door luck button.

Perhaps your problem is similar?

The problem as described is very common with Legacys of those years.

If you are able to remove the inner trimm panel and the inner lock button/door handle unit it's easy to repair and becomes more solid than a new one and with no cost at all.

On the back side of the unit there is a square hole in the black plastic mounting plate. Near that hole, between the plate and the lock button a plastic hook is broken so the spring that should be hoocked in there now pushes inside against the lock button.

Take a small peace of metal whire and make it in a U form with an outward hook on each end. Putt the U in the square hole so that the hooks are holding it at the edge of the square hole to prevent the spring to pull the U to the inside. Now take an other, longer metal wire and make a small hook on one end. Also through the square hole 'fish up' the spring. Pull the spring toward the U and hook it up.

Fixed.

Once the spring is hooked up in the U the lock button is no longer pushed one way or the other, it now kan be moved free toward lock or unlock position.

Luck, Urban.

For the back doors locking you in...

Do the 90's have "Child Safety Locks"?

With the door open, look on the side of the door where the latch is. Is there a small lever? Move it and try to get out (with someone outside to help if it doesn't work)

Originally posted by Hocrest

For the back doors locking you in...

Do the 90's have "Child Safety Locks"?

With the door open, look on the side of the door where the latch is. Is there a small lever? Move it and try to get out (with someone outside to help if it doesn't work)

Yup, they have the child locks.

Well I don't see why we couldn't make that a section in the repair manual and just link to his site. Or we could email him and ask if we can put the text in there, and give him credit for it, and link to the page at the bottom. Or write-up a similar article and put it up.

I think brian is handling the USRM, I'd contact this email usrm@subaru4wd.net Let him know you're interested in having that lock info on there.