Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

redoing half moons on DOHC EJ25 head

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bearbalu

bearbalu

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 02:25 PM

I am doing head gasket.

Does anyone know if I should redo the half moons that are on the back side (towards flywheel) of the head. If so what sealant should I use? Permatex Ultra grey okay. Subaru Service Manual doesn't mention it all all in Cyclinder Head service procedure.

#2 richierich

richierich

• 3,760 posts
  • Portland

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:09 PM

yes, you should but you should put in new half moons, rather than trying to reseal those in. If you can't get them or don't want to do it, it is better to leave them alone, than take them out and reseal the oil ones. Grey High Temp Permatex will work.

Also put a dab of it where the camshaft seal housing and the valve cover gasket touch. (There should be little bit of it dried up there, so clean that off and then add somemore.

#3 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 19 December 2004 - 07:55 AM

IIRC mine were in so tight that I couldn't easily get them out, so I left them alone. The sealant used at the factory seems really good. No leaks so far.

#4 bearbalu

bearbalu

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 01:52 PM

I do have new half moons...I will see if I can pull them out...if not I will leave them alone...

thanks

#5 richierich

richierich

• 3,760 posts
  • Portland

Posted 19 December 2004 - 09:43 PM

If they don't come out, put a little silicon over them before putting the valve cover back on.

#6 bearbalu

bearbalu

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 03:04 AM

I sprayed some permatex gasket remover and they pulled off real easy. Put in the new ones.

Does anyone know what function the half-moons serve? Why not just have metal there instead?

#7 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 02 January 2005 - 08:19 AM

I think those are the result of line boring the heads for the cam journals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users