Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust Gas Recirculating Valve or Purge Valve Assembly info

This is just a word of warning. I recently purchased an EGR valve or Purge valve assembly Thursday from thepartsbin.com for a 1988 RX turbo. It's part# B7079-60044. I love shopping at thepartsbin. However, this EGR valve assembly is not the correct one for the RX turbo. A picture is worth a thousand words but I've been posting a thousand pics lately so I'm trying to tone down.

Anyway, if you look at our stock EGR valve, it has two openings in which you can connect vacuum hoses too. The one from thepartsbin does as well but it has another piece with a filter like part extending outward towards the throttle body. Nothing seems to connect to it. It just seems like a vent of some sort. Also, the end plug on this purge assembly is different than the stock plug. It will not be able to plug into your stock EGR connector.

What I ended up having to do is cut the plug off of the new unit. Then I connected the wiring and plug off of my old unit to the new unit. The vent piece comes right up on the throttle body but it seems like it's barely ok there. Just a word of warning as there may be other places that sell similar units. I may take a pic anyway so you know what I'm talking about when I refer to the 'vent' piece that extends to the throttle body. That's all.

all emission devices=enemy to performance engines.
Social Resposibility=enemy of performance engines. :D

Both items, when properly working, should be non-issues under WOT. Compared to what we got in the late-60s and early-70s, this stuff is wonderful. Definitely a compromise that I can with.