Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Having some questions about subarus

im thinking about buying a 95 subaru impreza, but i have some questions about the car before I buy it. my first one is probabally the dumbest but do you pronounce the middle "e" in impreza like the "ee" in freeze, or like the "e" in bread? (ill probabally get flamed about that, but id rather ask and find out than not now how to pronounce the name of my car) secondly, i live in the USA, and generally foreign cars cost more to repair than the domestic cars and i was wondering if anyone else in the US noticed a large price difference. also i was wondering if anyone had any general complaints about that year of impreza or recalls, etc. if anyone had any other advice about my first subaru it would really be appreciated.

Impreza is pronounced like "bread" as in "it does not cost a lot of bread to maintain or repair".

If maintained, Subarus are great cars. Other than some early 2.5 liter engines with head gasket problems, they are very reliable.

Check the sticker on the underside of the hood for the engine size. The 2.2 L engines are excellent. Yours may be an 1.8 L.

The engines suffer from some minor oil seepage which is best cured during a timing belt change.

Parts can be expensive but there are many on line sources which help in this regard. But since they seldom break down, the overall cost is much lower than US made cars, in my opinion.

The All Wheel Drive is great if you need it but there is a small penalty on the Miles Per Gallon. The handling is wonderful in snow, rain, wind, etc.

Many members own multiple Subies (I have 3) which says a lot.

Check out NASIOC.com which is mostly for Imprezas.

Matt