Ultimate Subaru Message Board

built ea81 vs. 2.2 conversion

i am torn here. i have a ea81 hatch, with carb. i am trying to figure out if i should graft mpfi from an ea82, and build custom manifolds and turbo/intercooler, with a t3. or put a 2.2 na in there. a stock 2.2 would have as much hp, if i turbo the ea81 right

:brow:, argh. what do you guys think? its for street use, and i think i'll stick with 2wd 5speed. hondabeater:clap:

SEE... you said stock EA81T. im gonna use a na lower end, and push about 15lbs with a t3, and use mpfi, or spfi. that should double my 75 horsepower, and i will save alot of weight. i figure i can either focus on building manifolds, or swaping the motor, and tranny.:drunk:

• 9 months later...

damn, this post makes me feel like a wussie. time always screws me, along with money.

i ended up with a na ea82 xt motor, with mpfi. i have all the parts to turbo it cept a ea82t exhaust housing, to mate to a lecacy turbo. i would much rather have 130na hp than the 100 that i have now, even with the bigger tires, but im happy with the swap, and am puttin on some serious miles lately.

as far as stickin in a 2.2 it should be easy as wiring it up, and making motor mounts and tranny mounts fit. might try that after i boost the crap out of this motor. the australian byb guys have tons of info on the 2.2 swap, and they are the ones who steered me in the right direction to get my ea82 mpfi running.

good luck, more hp is always better!

G'day Fellas,

It may be my 10 cents worth, but I would go th 2.2 and the more factory HP you start with, the less you have to twist its neck to get some performance.

Less mods = better reliability

Plus its going to scream if you throw boost at it later.

All the best from Tasmania

(isn't the internet a wonderfull thing)

I think my turbowagon should be getting an EJ22 with a Turbo (note I didn't say EJ22T, those are too damn hard to find, but I think sticking a stock EA82 Turbo onto an EJ22 N/A motor would pep it up a lil bit... Got a line on an NA Legacy wagon, 5 speed 4WD, crunched in the front, might be able to trade my Justy for the motor and wiring and crap...