Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

some lsd info, please

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Vicious-S

Vicious-S

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Bend

Posted 19 December 2004 - 07:35 PM

i was wondering what year, and what vehicles lsd's came in. also, what kind of lsd's are they (i.e. viscous, torsen, clutch type, etc)? i did a pretty good search, so please don't flame me too bad :D .

#2 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 19 December 2004 - 08:41 PM

There clutch type, except the newer ones from the legacy on up, those are viscous(sp). there pretty standard in turbos, probably won't find one in any non, but they may have been an option, i think. I don't think they are to be found in EA-81's though, so any turbo between 86-90 should get you headed in the right direction.

#3 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 19 December 2004 - 08:58 PM

Generally speaking, the turbos didn't come with LSD with any consistency until late '88 or '89; they were optional before then. The RX models came with an LSD from '86 on (I think). All of these were as Noah said, clutch type. The Legacy series uses a viscous type and it seems to be pretty rare...I've never seen one in three years of looking.

#4 Vicious-S

Vicious-S

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Bend

Posted 19 December 2004 - 09:12 PM

awesome, thanks for the info, guys. i think i know what my next mod will be...

#5 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 09:17 PM

all RX's 85-89 should have LSD rear...and they are clutch type.

#6 kingbobdole

kingbobdole

Mr. XT-6

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • Longmont

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:14 AM

I got a Q.....
Since its here.... Do all D/R trannies have the same final ratios? Ala, can I put a Rx LSD in my 87 D/R wagon?
Thanks

#7 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:23 AM

yes you can. there is a writeup in the USRM. it involves taking the LSD unit out of the RX rear end and putting it in the 3.9 rear diff on your 87 wagon. There is some grinding involved.
heres the link : http://www.ultimates...rticle.php?a=36

If the RX rear diff is 3.9, you could just bolt up the RX rear diff on your wagon and I believe it will work. as long as its 3.9 ratio.

#8 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 07:40 AM

RX is 3.70

#9 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,084 posts
  • WV

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:17 AM

a 3.90 LSD is hard to come by. 3.7's are much easier which is why people convert.

you can also buy brand new units for around 800.00.

hey phil, whats up dude!
i didn't know you came *over here*.

#10 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:23 AM

I may have a 3.900 LSD available for sale in the near future; I'm still thinking about letting it go. I'll repost when I'm ready.

a 3.90 LSD is hard to come by. 3.7's are much easier which is why people convert.

you can also buy brand new units for around 800.00.

hey phil, whats up dude!

#11 Vanislru

Vanislru

Durka Durka!

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • Cumberland, BC

Posted 20 December 2004 - 11:54 AM

Is a three door turbo coupe likely to be an RX? I just talked to the wreckers in the south end of the island and they have what they're calling a turbo 3 door coupe, any chance this is an RX. I'm on the hunt for an lsd too.

#12 kingbobdole

kingbobdole

Mr. XT-6

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • Longmont

Posted 24 December 2004 - 03:39 AM

hey phil, whats up dude!

Yeah, I do, I just dont live over here like I do at xt6.net:drunk:
Thanks for the info guys, that really helps, bookmarked that page, and I'll keep my eyes open at the yards. Last Question, just to amke sure since this is my first 4wd ru... the ratio is marked on the outside of the case right? on a little tag right?

Thanks

#13 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,084 posts
  • WV

Posted 24 December 2004 - 06:07 AM

here's a picture of an LSD rear end. Foil sticker on the end shows LSD. If the sticker is moving you can turn the stub axles (or wheels or rotors...you get the point). When you turn one side the other side turns the OPPOSITE way then it's an open diff. If when you turn one side the other side turns the SAME way then it's an LSD. If the sticker is missing you'd have to count the turn ratio to determine if it's a 3.7 or 3.9.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Lsd.jpg   21.26K   21 downloads

#14 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 24 December 2004 - 09:26 AM

Gee, you could have just looked at my avatar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users