Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to measure tread on used tires

You can usually find out what the original tire depth was by going on a site such as http://www.tirerack.com/ and looking at the specs for your particular tire.

The tread depth is usually measured from the bottom of the deepest groove to the top of the same groove. A typical tread depth is 10/32. A tire is considered finished when the depth gets down to 2/32 so if the tire when new was 10/32 and the actual depth is 4/32 then you're at 50%.....(don't count the last 2/32.

You could also measure from the "wear indicator" which is found at regular intervals around the tire. These bands run from side to side across the tire at the bottom of the grooves and are usually 2/32 high so when the tread indicators are at the same height as the rest of the tread then your tire is 100% worn.

You can usually find out what the original tire depth was by going on a site such as http://www.tirerack.com/ and looking at the specs for your particular tire.

The tread depth is usually measured from the bottom of the deepest groove to the top of the same groove. A typical tread depth is 10/32. A tire is considered finished when the depth gets down to 2/32 so if the tire when new was 10/32 and the actual depth is 4/32 then you're at 50%.....(don't count the last 2/32.

You could also measure from the "wear indicator" which is found at regular intervals around the tire. These bands run from side to side across the tire at the bottom of the grooves and are usually 2/32 high so when the tread indicators are at the same height as the rest of the tread then your tire is 100% worn.

Thanks!

Is there a tool to measure or can I just use a ruler?

FWIW, some snow tires have different compounds at different levels of the tire, so keep that in mind.

Example: Blizzaks (IIRC) have snow and ice compound for the first 50% of the tread depth, then after that they're just plain all seasons with no advantage over normal tires. So, in your case, @ 55% they're pretty much done if they were that type of tire.

Oh, one more thing, do you know how to read the DOT date code?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/determtireage.jsp

I learned (after purchasing my tires used) that although the tread was around 90% and the PO told me they were "a couple years old", the tires were several years old. If I'd known that before purchase, I may have kept shopping. But since they seem to be in decent shape I'm giving them a go but keeping a very close eye on them w/r/t pressure and condition.

Steve