Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If it has the 2.5 then you might want to ask if the headgaskets have been replaced. If my memory serves me correctly they were known for bad headgaskets. Ask when the last time the timing belt was changed as well. If the timing belt was changed ask if they changed the water pump and seals while they were in there.

Hope this helps. You might want to do a search on the board for "gen1 2.5"

a 96 OB manual is a 2.2 but a 96 automatic is a 2.5. 96 was a transition year.

Any info you find about a 2.5 will NOT apply to the 2.2 as long as you are sure it is a 96 and is stick.

The basics about the t-belt and all that stuff is a good idea to ask in general about most cars....

Matt

I am purchasing a 96 outback (manual) this week with 99k. Is there anything specific to this year and model that i might need to know. (besides the usual stuff, timming belt etc) like anything going out earlier than its supposed to?
This is a great combination. You get one of the best looking OBW plus the awsome 2.2 motor. Grab it if it is nice.

Watch out for the dual exhaust port/single exhaust port problem. Apparently 96 and 97 2.2L had some engines that had single exhaust ports instead of dual. The single ports get too hot and mess up the exhaust valve sliders. Then you get misfires and poor mpg and gooped up cats, etc. The only way to fix it is to replace the cylinder heads. $2,200 or so.

That's what happened to my 96 Legacy... sigh.

This is a great combination. You get one of the best looking OBW plus the awsome 2.2 motor. Grab it if it is nice.