Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Offroad repair kit.

s'ko

Just wondering it we could make a FAQ write up about off-road repair tools/parts.

For Tools I was thinking

1) basic metric socket set.

2) Channel Lock pliers

3) vise-grip locking pliers

4) Permasteel or other epoxy

5) Screwdrivers (phillips and standard)

6) Lug wrench

7) Jack (hi-lift jack even better)

8) Oil and Gear Oil

For parts

1) Assorted drive belts

2) Spare tire

3) fuel pump

For Accessories

1) Tow rope

2) Air Pump, (if you air down)

Anyone else want to add to the list?

BW

Here's some things from a tech inspection list. Gotta pass tech inspection to get into most ORV parks and events. Even if you dont go to ORV parks or events these are good ideas :)

- FULL size spare tire

- Fire extinguisher must be mounted with in the reach of the seat-belted driver and extinguisher must be fully charged

- Tow straps cannot have hooks attached

- Tow strap must be 2-4 inches wide with a 10,000-pound minimum rating

- Tow strap must be in good condition; no excessive tears, fraying or knots

- Trail vehicle must have first aid kit

- Working CB radio hand-held is OK

A spare front CV and a spare rear CV. They can be crappy ones that are almost dead with duct tape sealing tears in the rubber, as long as they can help you out of trouble. Also gasket goo and exhaust repair tape so that if you hit the exhaust and puncture it, or pull the headers out of the engine you can bodge up a repair to get it home.

If you run a welded diff it probably wouldn't hurt to take a spare diff just in case the weld snaps.

CV axle, at least for the front, as the rear can run without axles. It'll be 2wd, but at least you can go somewhere. Also carry a set of spare front wheel bearings and seals. These things necessitate bringing a 36mm socket and a large drift punch. I also highly recommend finding a piece of aluminum pipe a couple feet long that is the same size as the inner race on the wheel bearings. This is helpful in getting the axle back through the bearings (just tap on the pipe rather than the hub, which avoids putting that shock load on the bearings), and doubles as a cheater bar with the added bonus of being really light.

Take a BFH with you. You never know when this will come in handy and if you don't have one, you'll need it for sure.

Also, bailing wire, duct tape, and a big bag of zip-ties.

Rear bumper with hitch so you can just tow a spare Parts car Around with you.........Put all your extra gear in it, so you've got leg room in the Wheeler.... :lol::lol::lol::eek::eek::eek:

Seriously......

For the Rubicon we Took pretty much everything thats already been listed....

Took multiples of Axles and Easily broken Items, and One or 2 of many other things....But we Also broke several big things up between the 3 Rides that went......So as a Collective Whole you have it all and then some, but One rig isn't carrying the entire load.....

If you are fortunate enough to have a Welder along.......Steel to fix or scab things together to get you off the trail needs to go as well......We had this for the Con, and Used some of it.......

One thing Not Listed yet, another Ride or several......To pull you out, or run for parts if Needed.......:D

Later, John

Here's the complied list

Offroad repair kit.

1) basic metric socket set.

2) Channel Lock pliers

3) vise-grip locking pliers

4) Permasteel or other epoxy

5) Screwdrivers (phillips and standard)

6) Lug wrench

7) Jack (hi-lift jack even better)

8) Big Frigging Hammer

9) Welder (For those who are uber-prepared) and scrap steel

10) Punch for axles

For parts

1) Assorted drive belts

2) Full size spare tire

3) fuel pump

4) Clutch Cable

5) Front Wheel bearings

6) Motor Oil and Gear Oil

7) Premixed Coolant

8) Front CV axle

9) Timing belt for EA82 motors

For Accessories

1) Tow rope

2) Air Pump, (if you air down)

3) Tarp

4) CASH.

5) First Aid Kit

6) Bailing wire, duct tape, and a big bag of zip-ties.

7) Shovel

8) Gas Can

9) Come along

10) Blanket

11) Flashlight

12) CB

13) Wooden board, for jacking

14) Change of Clothes

anything else?

BW

I saw something on "Trucks" (off-road show on Spike TV) about a portable arc-welding setup that runs off the car battery. I suppose that would be handy for some quick fixes.

A couple flavors for your portable welder. Qman has a trick setup under the bonnet. Seen the same setup on a Toy Land Cruiser last week. Definatly a good way to go.

Toyota duder also had one that clamps onto a battery and wire feeds for some welding action. He couldnt find it at the moment so I didnt get to check it out closely. He just explained it's basics.

Anyway their are some neat portable welding options for seriouse offroaders. There's also the shade tree's battery welder buuuut I really dont understand how that works properly and it really didnt sound too safe :-p And that's all I have to say about thaaat....

I use a coat hanger for wire (bailing wire) and what ever else it may be needed for.

I also carry a small saw. It can come in handy in so many ways :rolleyes:

I also carry my old parts from my last tune up....belts, hoses, cap, wires, plugs they take up no space and were in working condition when they were used last.

Food for thought....

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

(pepper spray is in all my cars) :eek:

Miss 'Trisity makes the world go round

Jump box with

cig lighter plug to cig lighter plug cord

My alt went south - I jumped boxed the car started and then made the trip back

with the jump box "jumpered" to

the car's 'Trisity system with the plug to plug cord.

Many other uses for these jump boxes