Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'04 Suburu Forester Headlight Problems

Just recently I have been required to disconnect my car battery when parked for an extended period of time, because when I turn off the ignition my taillights and headlights stay on and will not turn off. Another symptom of this problem maybe the fact that the radio stays dimmed for night operation (as it does when the headlights are turned on) regardless of whether or not I have the headlights on.

Have any of you encountered this problem? Is there a relay stuck somewhere that is keeping my lights on? Any help would be immensley appreciated.

that confirms it...I'm an idiot. I've never seen that switch before. Thank you for your help.

BTW, yes I am new to both the world of Subaru and this board.

Welcome to this board and to Subaru.

YEP....a Subie virgin. Everyone does the same thing with that darn switch. I did it once. My wife noticed my parking lights were on and then a bell went off in my head. SWITCH !

I just wonder why Subaru just doesn't get rid of it for vehicles bound for the USA ?

Do vehicles made here such as the Outback have that switch ?

Welcome, and don't feel bad, I've seen Subaru salespeople do it.

As me ol' Flight Instructor Dad ustedta say to his students " RTFOM".*

*Read The F___ing Operators Manual ... there are more important (read eXpensive) mistakes to be made as a Subaru owner, like towing, and driving on mis-matched tires.

Subaru has designed the headlamps to operate only when the ignition is on. Nice feature because it (supposedly) prevents leaving the lights on when engine is shut down. But Federal Motor Vehicle safety standards require that a vehicle exterior lighting system be operable WITHOUT the engine running, thus the switch on top of the column. Seems to cause more trouble though, doesn't it?

Welcome to this board and to Subaru.

YEP....a Subie virgin. Everyone does the same thing with that darn switch. I did it once. My wife noticed my parking lights were on and then a bell went off in my head. SWITCH !

I just wonder why Subaru just doesn't get rid of it for vehicles bound for the USA ?

Do vehicles made here such as the Outback have that switch ?