Ultimate Subaru Message Board

door ajar light on 1999 Forester

Hello everyone! This is my first post. So, I am sorry if this question has been asked before. I tried to search the site for similar questions but had no luck. Maybe someone here can help me?

Basically everything was fine until I had to replace my battery. After replacing my battery I realized that now when I shut my door the "door open light on the dash" now stays on including the interior light. This didn't start happening until I replaced the battery. I am not sure why this is all the sudden happening now. The light does seem to go off after a few minutes and only seem to have this problem after I have started the car and turn it off. Strange! I have only had the car for 4 months, so this is all new to me. I'm just affraid it's going to stay on and run my battery down. Does anyone have any insight for me?

Thank you!!!

Gangstarr937,

You don't say whether its a new car or not, but I assume its used since you didn't take it to the dealer under warranty. That said, which door ajar light is coming on? If the indicator shows its the driver's door, then the problem will be the the door switch in the B pillar. Its a plunger type switch that will be somewhere below where the door locking mechanism is mounted. (A pillar is the front windshield outside frame that extends down and into where the front door hinges mount on the body. The B pillar is the vertcal frame between the front and rear doors, and the C pillar extends down from the roof behind the rear doors.) Depending on the year of the car, you may be able to pull the switch out of the B pillar and check to see if its sticking, or if its contacts are corroded. In some cases you may have to pull the interior plastic panels on the B pillar to get at the switch from the inside and trouble shoot it in the same manner. Maybe some else can add any ideas they may have. Good luck!