Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Doing ej22 swap.....need fuel pump

I starting to do a EJ22 swap into my 86 GL wagon, tan if you must know, lol, and I need a fuel pump, I have read that I should use the EA82T pump, but I was wondering if the SPFI or MPFI fuel pumps will work, being from the EA series motors, will they keep up with 2.2 liters of fury?

basicaly anything with 12 volts will work. id get this napa one intended for an f150 pickup. it has the smaller 5/16 inlet, just like the carbureted cars fuel tank, instead of the efi 3/8 or 1/2 inch inlet.

napa part numbrk

Oh if only that were true. When I did the EJ20G conversion into an 87 RX, we discovered that the EA82T fuel pump just wasn't up to the task of getting the engine running properly. Now granted, the EJ20G is a different engine then the EJ22, with higher fuel demands, but you can't go wrong with getting a high performance fuel injected type pump to begin with, you certainly are not going to flood the floats. :lol:

my computer just broke on me, right in the middle of the post, all i could do was click the mouse. lol

napa part number 2p74028

around 40 bucks i guess, i priced a walbro? high performance super duper aftermarket go go pump, and it was $100+

1 year warranty, buy the 70$ one and its lifetime.

wurks gud i swar

and... all the ea82 spfi, turbo, and er27 pumps are the same

archemitis..... and... all the ea82 spfi, turbo, and er27 pumps are the same...???

All Ea-82 and ER-27 Pumps are not the same....

Ea-82T and ER-27 may be the same....???Not sure I've not personally looked at an ER-27.....But Ea-82 SPFI is it's own Volumn Pump , as is the EA-82T , and the Carb'ed EA-82......

I used a Ea-82T Pump to Power the BEAST with the 2.2 in her, with no issues....It was the easiest cheapest Route......I know Austin is Running the same Pump on his Yellow Wagon with the 2.2 and had no issues....Running it several hundreds of miles down the freeways.......:)

What ever you choose to do, Go with something you know has been tried and Worked before.....SubaruBrats ER-27 swap or The EA-82T pump we've been using.....

Hope this Clears things up for you, John

archemitis..... and... all the ea82 spfi, turbo, and er27 pumps are the same...???

All Ea-82 and ER-27 Pumps are not the same....

Ea-82T and ER-27 may be the same....???Not sure I've not personally looked at an ER-27.....But Ea-82 SPFI is it's own Volumn Pump , as is the EA-82T , and the Carb'ed EA-82......

I used a Ea-82T Pump to Power the BEAST with the 2.2 in her, with no issues....It was the easiest cheapest Route......I know Austin is Running the same Pump on his Yellow Wagon with the 2.2 and had no issues....Running it several hundreds of miles down the freeways.......:)

What ever you choose to do, Go with something you know has been tried and Worked before.....SubaruBrats ER-27 swap or The EA-82T pump we've been using.....

Hope this Clears things up for you, John

ive had them all in my hand, all the efis are the same. napa book says so also.

the pump i am suggesting has been tried, and has worked before, works quite well for well over a year, in several different efi conversions! and on an er27! lots cheaper and you dont need an adapter for the tank hose.

so I have a couple options, 1, go with the F-150 pump, 2, go with the EA82T pump, 3, go with an in-line pump, 4, go with a EA82 SPFI pump? theres a JY in salem that has some subes in it, just need to know if the EA82 SPFI pump is up to the task. And if I use the F-150 pump, does it fit into the tank W/O doing a good amount of tank cutting, like to stay as close to plug-n-play as possible. Thanks everyone.

~Josh~

so I have a couple options, 1, go with the F-150 pump, 2, go with the EA82T pump, 3, go with an in-line pump, 4, go with a EA82 SPFI pump? theres a JY in salem that has some subes in it, just need to know if the EA82 SPFI pump is up to the task. And if I use the F-150 pump, does it fit into the tank W/O doing a good amount of tank cutting, like to stay as close to plug-n-play as possible. Thanks everyone.

~Josh~

good news, they are all inline external pumps =]

I was wondering why no one tried the novel idea of using the 2.2 pump, does it not work or what? it would seem like the logical choice, but if no one is using it there must be an issue, eh?

Prolly more of an issue of availability. Otherwise yes one would belive you would just use the EJ22 pump. I know I would; if I could get a used one. A new one? Prolly too rich for my blood :-p

I know that the EJ22 fuel pump sounds like a noble idea, but I was under the impression that subies had the fuel pumps in the tank, also the cost of a EJ22 or EJ25 fuel pump(got a hunch they're the same lol)would be too much compared to a EA82 SPFI fuel pump.

So is it written in stone that our fuel pumps are located in-line, not in-tank?

If so then I wil grab the F-150 pump or a fuel pump out of a JY tommorow and call it good. Just I want more than one person to say they're in-line, dont want to buy crap I cant use or have no need for.

Thanks guys,

~Josh~

trust me, they are on a little shelf under the rear passenger seat. along with the filter.

another reason i dont like subaru pumps is because i have seen two of them rust to pieces. mine acutaly started leaking, and spraying fuel around the car.

they have this baffle on the top of them, and its very thin metal that can rust.

if your lookin in yards. you have to find an early 90s? ford truck. it will have a small pump in the tank, and this high pressure one further up the lines. i have only used new napa ones so not sure about donor cars.

Alrighty, so use napa parts #TFP2P74028? Didnt you say that it had the same fittings as the carb'd EA82? Still waiting for someone else to chime in and back up Archemitis.

Thanks peeps,

~Josh~

I run the same pump on my EA82 SPFI. I've seen it work,first hand, on an EA82 MPFI and an ER27 (H6 MPFI). It's designed to meet demand of a 351ci V8.... it will meet demand for your 2.2 liter H4 ;)

Arch.....I was refering to Factory Pumps......

All Legacys And Newer have pump in the tank, This is why Most retro-fitters have not used them......

All Loyal and Older Subies indeed have them under the car or in the engine bay........

Factory SPFI Pump and Factory MPFI pumps are different.....I have several of Each in My Yard.....

Later, John

Lol! Guys, the EJ22 (2.2ltr Impreza like my Outback Sport) has its fuel pump mounted inside the gas tank. I know because I've changed mine.

Fuel pumps like the ER27 is on the outside as stated. I had purchased an aftermarket inline (external) fuel pump from Summit Racing. It supposedely can support upwards to 500hp. Part# is MSD-2225. I have this unit on my FWD XT6 (which I was previously going to turbocharge and add nitrous. Turbocharging never came to be and my nitrous adventures ended with the tiny 185cc injectors giving me the finger. :banghead: ) You can find the specs, cost and other info on the pump here:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=MSD%2D2225

I hope this helps....

msd-2225.jpg

msd.jpg

I thought that 165 crank HP would be too much for the stock Pressure Plate that was built to handle 85-90 HP, and the WHOLE EJ22 I bought was only $400, that came with everything but ECM and wiring harness, and the fact that EJ25 blow HG's. But thats just me.

~Josh~