Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Solenoid C rear diff Binding problem?

Hi, I'm new to the forum....how annoying for you guys...to answer this question again!!!! i have a '96 AT Outback, recently i started getting a howling noise from the rear diff and it seemed to bind in sharp corners and reverse. The Subie dealership said I the rear diff was bad caused by a solenoid in the tranny......they wouldnt tell me anymore, it was going to cost $1700 to fix. I can't seem to fin the tech drawings or instructions on how to do it myself. I found a used rear diff...$350...can anybody recommend what/how it needs to be done...ant pics etc.

Thanks

Teleworker

The solenoid in question is a part of the rear transfer clutch located in the transaxle, not the rear diff.

Your best bet would be to purchase a factory manual for your car. If you plan on keeping the vehicle for any length of time, the manual will more than pay for itself.

I wish I had more specific info for you about the solenoid, but I don't. Do a USMB search. Almost everything you'll need to know about it is in the archives for your use.

Maybe someone else can chime in.