Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm just getting this repairable on the road,took it for a test ride yesterday & the trany seens to make a lot of growling noise when it shifts & esp.on deceleration also a high pitched whining noise.it seens to be less on excelleration,note:all tires don't match rt ft is33 or 38 dont rember "s but 33 1/2 lf 1/4 & rear match @even 33, please help

did you check fluids - trans and diff fluids?

is it FWD, 4WD or AWD? if it's AWD i think you want to match the tires. if it's 4WD, makes sure it's not in 4WD.

what work have you done to it already?

what transmission?

what car?

what was wrong with it before that you need to repair it?

how do you know it's the transmission and not the differential or wheel bearing or drive shaft (if it's 4WD or AWD)?

I'm just getting this repairable on the road,took it for a test ride yesterday & the trany seens to make a lot of growling noise when it shifts & esp.on deceleration also a high pitched whining noise.it seens to be less on excelleration,note:all tires don't match rt ft is33 or 38 dont rember "s but 33 1/2 lf 1/4 & rear match @even 33, please help

See my post:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26337

It was cold yesterday morning (5 degrees) and the noise was louder. Maybe my transmisiion is just tired.

Get all the right tires on yours and see if it quiets down.

is it FWD, 4WD or AWD? if it's AWD i think you want to match the tires. if it's 4WD, makes sure it's not in 4WD.

what transmission?

what car?

how do you know it's the transmission and not the differential or wheel bearing or drive shaft (if it's 4WD or AWD)?

reply here?? automatic AWL i think, its a forester S (98) when I bought it i had been hit on rt ft corner, need lower A frame,fender head lite etc. ?i droped all fluids today trany was a little burnt& a small amount of metal flakes & grafite as to be expected the diff's look good,but a did discover what i think as a lose rt side cv i'm in the prosses of pulling right now.i always thought a cv would make a clicking sound on hard turns?not true? i'll be back in a couple hrs,thanx bugite

what transmission?

what car?

well here's the skinny(any body still use that term?)changed all fluids, rt ft cv shaft,(felt good but changed it anyway,to be safe).checked drive line. still makes growling noise in all gears as soon as you get up to speed.under load no noise,much worse on deceleration,&during shifts .parked it seens to have a viberation when reved.is it time to look for tranny?whats best thing to do.thanx again

check your driveshaft, the ujoints in particular.

pull it off and make sure the u-joints all feel loose and not lumpy or even frozen.

this thing makes the same sound @all speeds, i went through each gear 1st speed up, no noise under load, untill it got up to speed & deceleration worse.2nd the same & so on,worse noise @ shifts but i'll check them tomorrow. thanx again

check your driveshaft, the ujoints in particular.

pull it off and make sure the u-joints all feel loose and not lumpy or even frozen.

HAPPY DAY i found the problem.i noticed earlier there was a bent bolt/stud in center of tranny cross member,didn't think too much of it. i said before it ia a repairable,hit rite ft.,hard enough to bend that safty stud in tranny mt.and was up against metal transfering every vibration & sound to cross member on into whole body, i think this one is for the books but not your average case, thanx for your help this is a great sounding board, BUGITE

Mine does the same thing. Lound whining moany type of noise. Took it to a bunch of mechs. It ended up that the final one (Mech) said he knew what it was, Something like the fifth Gear bearing or the clutch catching bearing or....well anyways its a bearing in your tranny. I have a 91 legacy 4wd and he said it would be cheaper to get a used tranny than it would be to rebuild it. So I wait....Until it falls the hell out of my car so I HAVE to replace it. Hope I helped.