Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have an intermitent starter problem on my 99 forester s. It will start fine for weeks on end and then for wht ever reason sometimes you turn the key and you get a grinding noise exactly like you get when you try and start it when it is already running...once you get this noise you naturally turn the key off and when you try again all is fine...I bought the car used with 113, 000 km on it in sept 03 and had the starter replaced under an extended warranty shortly thereafter because of the same problem...any ideas...thanks..also how easy is it to replace the clock mounted in the overhead light and sunglass unit..the clock works only sporadically..

at least I hope thats what it is becuse it could also be a damaged flywheel. The starter is only a few bolts, if it were my car I would pull it and inspect the flywheel with a light while turning the engine slowly to make sure the teeth are good.

Are you still on extended warranty? If so tell them to inspect the flywheel when replaceing the starter.

Somebody did a post on repair of those clocks a while ago, do a search to see if you can find it.