Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbocharging info/sites

Vanislru

theres a book called 'maximum boost' by corky bell thats really comprehensive. i was quite impressed with it. now if i could just get my copy back!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0837601606/qid=1104139650/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-0185643-1964703

If you really want to learn about how engines and turbos work. Don't depend on this book to explain it to you. The book grossly oversimplifies many concepts, often to the point of being incorrect. Understanding how gas flows requires much more to comprehend than can be put in this little paperback book with lots of pictures. I often hear people quoting things from this book that are simply incorrect. It’s not bad if you know nothing about turbos and want to pick up some basic concepts. But don’t attempt to use any formula or idea in the book as what makes them actually work is most often left out. Unfortunately, it’s what’s left out of the book that really matters.

• 2 weeks later...
but maybe ill buy that book.

i have a 87 subaru gl wagon and i want to put a turbo on it. can i buy a new on or can i take one off another subaru and just slap it on

You will need, at a minimum:

Turbo heads

exhaust

crossmember

wiring harness(most everything from the dash forward)

ECU

intake manifold with wiring harness and injectors.

Random assorted other little things.

From there you can actually start working toward some performance.

Search for threads from myself, rallyruss or subarutex for ideas of what people are doing for faster EA82s. We have similar things going on, but each of us went about a lot of things a little differently.

Thats if you want to factory turbo it. I think backyard turboing is a much easier, but less preformace route. Welding up exhaust pipe to fit your needs is actually pretty easy. Plates of steel, a cutting torch, grinder and drill press are all the ingredients necesarry for making the bolt up surfaces for the exhaust. For oil, just tap off of the oil pressure sendor fitting, put a plumbing T in and run tubing with flare ends. use a hose to pipe the return oil back to the oil pan, with a fitting JB welded into the pan. Coolant(which I didn't have to deal with on the turbo I was putting in a non subi) I assume you could rerout the heater hoses. PVC pipe and hoseclamps to the origional rubber works for the intake. make sure to plug any PCV holes in the origional air ducts. The wastegate should manage itsself, and, if your lucky, the oil seals on the turbo wont blow, like they did on mine. rig it and rage it.

Thats if you want to factory turbo it. I think backyard turboing is a much easier, but less preformace route. Welding up exhaust pipe to fit your needs is actually pretty easy. Plates of steel, a cutting torch, grinder and drill press are all the ingredients necesarry for making the bolt up surfaces for the exhaust. For oil, just tap off of the oil pressure sendor fitting, put a plumbing T in and run tubing with flare ends. use a hose to pipe the return oil back to the oil pan, with a fitting JB welded into the pan. Coolant(which I didn't have to deal with on the turbo I was putting in a non subi) I assume you could rerout the heater hoses. PVC pipe and hoseclamps to the origional rubber works for the intake. make sure to plug any PCV holes in the origional air ducts. The wastegate should manage itsself, and, if your lucky, the oil seals on the turbo wont blow, like they did on mine. rig it and rage it.

Sooo.. Tell me again.. How is fabricating a complete (functional and safe) turbo setup easrier than a bolt-on setup as described above?

Vanislru - cool site.