Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Turbocharging info/sites

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Vanislru

Vanislru

Durka Durka!

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • Cumberland, BC

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:52 PM

These two sites offer some good reading, I can't post links cause I don't know how but try these on, www.turbodriven.com and www.grapeaperacing.com. Some interesting bits on turbo history.

#2 nkx

nkx

Rallycross Junkie

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • Carlisle, PA

Posted 27 December 2004 - 04:30 AM

theres a book called 'maximum boost' by corky bell thats really comprehensive. i was quite impressed with it. now if i could just get my copy back!

http://www.amazon.co...0185643-1964703

#3 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,968 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 27 December 2004 - 05:06 AM

http://www.dune-bugg...turbo/index.htm

He's talking about Turboing a VW engine, but the info contained is some good stuff.

#4 sammydafish

sammydafish

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Woodstock

Posted 29 December 2004 - 10:07 AM

theres a book called 'maximum boost' by corky bell thats really comprehensive. i was quite impressed with it. now if i could just get my copy back!

http://www.amazon.co...0185643-1964703

If you really want to learn about how engines and turbos work. Don't depend on this book to explain it to you. The book grossly oversimplifies many concepts, often to the point of being incorrect. Understanding how gas flows requires much more to comprehend than can be put in this little paperback book with lots of pictures. I often hear people quoting things from this book that are simply incorrect. It’s not bad if you know nothing about turbos and want to pick up some basic concepts. But don’t attempt to use any formula or idea in the book as what makes them actually work is most often left out. Unfortunately, it’s what’s left out of the book that really matters.

#5 Alaskan_Sub

Alaskan_Sub

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:11 AM

http://www.dune-bugg...turbo/index.htm

He's talking about Turboing a VW engine, but the info contained is some good stuff.

well right a book on how to sell his vw and go buy a subaru :)

#6 Alaskan_Sub

Alaskan_Sub

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:15 AM

but maybe ill buy that book.

i have a 87 subaru gl wagon and i want to put a turbo on it. can i buy a new on or can i take one off another subaru and just slap it on

#7 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 09 January 2005 - 02:18 AM

but maybe ill buy that book.

i have a 87 subaru gl wagon and i want to put a turbo on it. can i buy a new on or can i take one off another subaru and just slap it on

You will need, at a minimum:

Turbo heads
exhaust
crossmember
wiring harness(most everything from the dash forward)
ECU
intake manifold with wiring harness and injectors.
Random assorted other little things.

From there you can actually start working toward some performance.

Search for threads from myself, rallyruss or subarutex for ideas of what people are doing for faster EA82s. We have similar things going on, but each of us went about a lot of things a little differently.

#8 Vanislru

Vanislru

Durka Durka!

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • Cumberland, BC

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:27 AM

:confused:

#9 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:45 PM

Thats if you want to factory turbo it. I think backyard turboing is a much easier, but less preformace route. Welding up exhaust pipe to fit your needs is actually pretty easy. Plates of steel, a cutting torch, grinder and drill press are all the ingredients necesarry for making the bolt up surfaces for the exhaust. For oil, just tap off of the oil pressure sendor fitting, put a plumbing T in and run tubing with flare ends. use a hose to pipe the return oil back to the oil pan, with a fitting JB welded into the pan. Coolant(which I didn't have to deal with on the turbo I was putting in a non subi) I assume you could rerout the heater hoses. PVC pipe and hoseclamps to the origional rubber works for the intake. make sure to plug any PCV holes in the origional air ducts. The wastegate should manage itsself, and, if your lucky, the oil seals on the turbo wont blow, like they did on mine. rig it and rage it.

#10 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:21 AM

Thats if you want to factory turbo it. I think backyard turboing is a much easier, but less preformace route. Welding up exhaust pipe to fit your needs is actually pretty easy. Plates of steel, a cutting torch, grinder and drill press are all the ingredients necesarry for making the bolt up surfaces for the exhaust. For oil, just tap off of the oil pressure sendor fitting, put a plumbing T in and run tubing with flare ends. use a hose to pipe the return oil back to the oil pan, with a fitting JB welded into the pan. Coolant(which I didn't have to deal with on the turbo I was putting in a non subi) I assume you could rerout the heater hoses. PVC pipe and hoseclamps to the origional rubber works for the intake. make sure to plug any PCV holes in the origional air ducts. The wastegate should manage itsself, and, if your lucky, the oil seals on the turbo wont blow, like they did on mine. rig it and rage it.

Sooo.. Tell me again.. How is fabricating a complete (functional and safe) turbo setup easrier than a bolt-on setup as described above?

Vanislru - cool site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users