Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Engine removed - when to put spark plugs?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bearbalu

bearbalu

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:25 AM

My legacy 98 outback engine is out. Haynes manual says:

a) Install engine
B) "With the spark plugs out of the engine and the coil electrical connector (low voltage unplugged), crank the engine over until oil pressure registers on guage"

c) Install spark plugs, hook up plug wires, reconnect coil and fuel pump

I have a few questions:

1. Why spark plugs have to be out in B) above ? - they are pain to install with the engine in the car. If intent is to avoid a spark, can't I just unplug the spark plug wires or the coil connector to prevent sparking?

2. What does "low voltage" in B) above mean?

3. Oil pressure in B) would register on which gauge? I don't have an oil pressure gauge on dashboard...

#2 shimonmor

shimonmor

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Sedro Woolley, WA

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:47 AM

Well, I think they are getting at priming the oil system. Spark plugs out so engine doesn't start AND to reduce compression so it turns over easier. They are probably assuming you have a mechanical oil pressure temporarily attached to the engine so you can confirm oil pressure. The low voltage thing is the wiring going into the coil so that it doesn't produce an output spark to the spark plugs.

You can also crank until the oil pressure light goes out and you could leave the plugs in as long as fuel or spark doesn't get into the cylinders.

#3 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:00 AM

Yeah, just keep the plug wires off. The starter can handle the compression.

#4 Phillip

Phillip

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Eugene, OR

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:08 PM

If you decide to crank the engine with the plug wires off, be sure to ground them. In addition to the danger of fire, high voltage arcing can damage electronic components. Personally, On a fresh engine, I'd fill the oil filter and engine with oil, and start it. I'm not saying immediate oil pressure is not a good thing, but assuming everything was lubricated properly during the assembly process, critical load components (crank shaft bearing, valve train, etc) have sufficient protection to run until long after oil pressure builds (a few seconds).

#5 Setright

Setright

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 23 December 2004 - 01:47 AM

Oh yeah, that's a good point!

Disconnect the crank sensor and the engine won't fire. Leave the plug wires on the plugs.

#6 bearbalu

bearbalu

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 03:32 AM

I was thinking of leaving the connector that goes to the coil unconnected, but keep the wires plugged. Would that work?

That way I don't have to worry about high voltage coil.

Is crank shaft sensor another option? You are saying keep coil connected, but just disconnect crank shaft sensor?

I just redid the head gasket, lubricated camshaft bearings with assembly lube - that's the only point that was exposed...

#7 Setright

Setright

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 27 December 2004 - 04:11 AM

If the ECU doesn't register the crank signal it won't activate the ignition system.

If your crankshaft hasn't been out, then there is probably little reason to worry.

#8 bearbalu

bearbalu

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:52 AM

Thanks.

I just unplugged the connector on ignition coil and put the plugs in before putting the engine back in. Worked fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users