Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi-

I have a ‘95 LS wagon. I’m wondering about the lights for the heater controls. There are little lights that work under the control buttons, but the buttons themselves don’t light up like they do in my older ( ‘90 and ‘93) ones. Is that normal? I’d rather know if there’s something to fix before I take the dash apart.

Thx and cheers!

Kudd

• 2 weeks later...

Did my lights this weekend. Pretty easy, but patience required to get everything to fit back together just right. The radio shack bulbs ( #7219) worked just fine and are easy to thread into the subie sockets. It's like replacing a mini christmas light bulb. I did wreck one of the little green condoms that go over the bulbs...but that doesn't seem to make to huge a difference.

Here's the link to the earlier thread that was mentioned above, there's pictures even at one of the links on page 4.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2498&page=1&pp=10&highlight=Climate+Control+Backlights

(I hope it works...if not do the search suggested above.)

My '95 was a little different than the ‘97 pictured. It required unscrewing the circuit board to get at the bulbs. Anyhow.... Thx all... and cheers!

I bought my Legacy in 2000, used, with only 56000 miles, and the climate control backlighting never worked. I tried unsuccessfully in the past to diagnose it, but gave up until I saw this post. Yesterday, I took the thing out, spent 15 minutes replacing 3 bulbs, and popped it back in. Works great. The only problem is that I damaged the green covers for the lamps. Unfortunately, the heat from the lamps must have fused the rubber to the glass, because all three of them were difficult to remove, and I ripped them.

I decided to just leave them off. It would be cool if I could find something to replace them, but I doubt that will happen.

Thanks to all your help. Replacing the bulbs could not have been easier. The whole process took about 1/2 hour.

By the way, The small bulbs were not available at my local radio shack, so I ordered some online at Mouser Electronics. The shipping cost more than the bulbs, so I bought extra. If anyone needs them, send me a message and I could easily mail some out at a great low price.

Matt