Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noob '95 Legacy owner w/ Q's.

Howdy,

I just picked up a '95 Legacy Sedan. I'm new to the legacy and ej-22 and would like to know how to pull the codes. I'm guessing it's not OBDI or II. Is the dealer the only option?

It's -8 in Chicago today but when I started it this morning the Temp guage came up to the half way mark immediatly. Bad sensor or something else?

Are there any on line manuals that somebody can link me to?

Thanks.

I'm not sure which OBD you have but you can always buy an OBD II scanner (if that's what you have). You can get cheap ones for $100 and better ones for $150....well worth the cost when you figure that having your codes read at the dealer usually costs one hour of labor (around $70-$100 depending on location).

As for the temp gauge going up to the middle on start up...sounds like maybe the temp sender wire may be partially grounding or has a loose connection. If you ground the wire completely on a temp sender the gauge maxes out. If you remove the wire, gauge goes to zero. Hope this helps.

A '95 will have an OBD II system (OBD I was 90-94) so you will need a scanner, unless you have a local shop that will pull the codes for free (there are some auto parts stores that will do this for you). Having your own scanner will probably be a goo investment in the long run, though. As for the temp guage going immediately to normal operating temp, I also recomend that you check out the wire going to the temp sensor, and if it is OK, get a new sensor.