Ultimate Subaru Message Board

recommended maintenance schedule

Is it necessary to follow the recommended maintenace schedules? I have a used 2000 legacy, and I am unsure of the maintenance history. I asked about the 105k service at the delaer here in eastern mass and got a very ambiguous answer as to what it entails. Is this "valve clearance" inspection legit? I assume the timing belt/coolant flush/water pump needs to be done around now...brake pads maybe? The only things I've done to it are an exhasut donut and knock sensor. Thanks for any advice!

Is it necessary to follow the recommended maintenace schedules? I have a used 2000 legacy, and I am unsure of the maintenance history. I asked about the 105k service at the delaer here in eastern mass and got a very ambiguous answer as to what it entails. Is this "valve clearance" inspection legit? I assume the timing belt/coolant flush/water pump needs to be done around now...brake pads maybe? The only things I've done to it are an exhasut donut and knock sensor. Thanks for any advice!

I would follow the recommended maint scehdule. It is legit. The valve clearance issue is checking the valve lash clearance and is things are out of spec, they should be corrected. Plus it gives you a chance to peek under the valve cover to see if any problems are starting. I would also replace O2 sensor at 100k miles as well as timing belt and water pump. Check tensioner, replace the front oil seals (cams and main).