Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Exhaust stud questions

82GLF

I removed the (entire) exhaust from the GLF to repair a hole in the downpipe (the size of a quarter). I'm having to use a metal patch to cover the hole, will JB Weld hold up on the downpipe?

Do the flange studs enter an oil passage?

This seems to be the source of a hard to locate oil leak. This is a major oil leak that I thought was the pass side valve cover, but after removing the studs I saw they were oil soaked as well as the flange itself. They also had that same smell when you remove a head bolt.

Then I noticed there was what appears to be an O2 sensor in the cat. Does this carbed EA81 actually have an O2??

Sorry for all these stupid questions but I don't have a FSM and am flat broke until payday.

I removed the (entire) exhaust from the GLF to repair a hole in the downpipe (the size of a quarter). I'm having to use a metal patch to cover the hole, will JB Weld hold up on the downpipe?

Do the flange studs enter an oil passage?

This seems to be the source of a hard to locate oil leak. This is a major oil leak that I thought was the pass side valve cover, but after removing the studs I saw they were oil soaked as well as the flange itself. They also had that same smell when you remove a head bolt.

Then I noticed there was what appears to be an O2 sensor in the cat. Does this carbed EA81 actually have an O2??

Sorry for all these stupid questions but I don't have a FSM and am flat broke until payday.

I don't know about the JB Weld on anything that hot... I wouldn't think to try it myself, but what do I know?

Pretty sure that the studs don't go into any passage at all, just blind holes. (Haven't turned my spare upside down to check, though.) Bolts are almost lowest point on engine, so might be a magnet for any drips. Is there sign of oil in the exhaust port? Any streaking from oil traveling to the stud?

If your car has one of the ECU controlled carbs then it will have an O2 sensor. Lots of originally California/wwest coast cars have carb and O2 sensor.

Thanks NorthWet.

Yup, it has an ECU under the column. Weird.

There wasn't any oil inside the pipe or the port, thank goodness.

I'll do some more looking to see where that oil is coming from. It's just strange how they smelled.

I'll post back what I find on the oil leak and how the JB Weld holds up (or not).

your oil may possibly be coming from the oil pump seal. there is no oil passages in the exhaust stud, but, however, oil will have a tendency to soak and draw up into threads.

sometimes if you take heads off you will find oil sludge baked into the threads

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late responce guys.... been busy at work.

Baja, thanks for the offer but I slipped the old welding hat on and patched her up......nice and quiet agian.

The oil leak.........

Well, I noticed oil dripping from the valve cover so I replaced it.......

Well it's still leaking so I jacked it up and let it run while under it.

There are no leaks (now) above the exhuast flange. I did see oil seeping (almost running) from the exhuast flang...the front stud to be exact.

Not too sure about the oil pump....it's on the front of the motor (external).

Could it be a cracked head?

Thinking of pulling that stud out and using some RTV on it... :-<

Update:

Okay, the leak I saw after replacing the valve cover gasket must have been risidual buildup.

The leak has stopped :banana: ............now if that buildup behind the heat shield would just burn off it won't smoke anymore :-p