Ultimate Subaru Message Board

X-USA (continental) Trip *Is a "GO!"*... Shipping Opportunity!

It looks *really* likely that I will be driving from WA to CT and back around the second week in January. Call me crazy (... pause ... ) but the plan is to tow a car from here to CT, probably along I-80, drop off the car and pick up a car in PA and tow it back to WA. Dead of Winter. Northern Route. RWD van. Towing.

Shipping Opportunity:

I will be driving solo and towing, so my van will have plenty of room and spare GVW. If anybody was wanting to buy anything bulky, heavy, or otherwise impractical to ship but it was on the wrong coast, this might be a way of making the purchase more practical. I will be doing a proper post when I know for sure if this is happening for sure.

Hopefully, I will get to meet several members along the way, maybe even able to bum a piece of unfrozen floor on which to catch a few zzzzs.

So consider this as a "heads up". I may be coming through. So lock your doors. Hide your women folk... forget that, too old... hide your Subies!

TTFN! (Ta Ta For Now!)

Pat

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

e-mail me... or Qman... got room for an engine/wheel?
Plenty of room for several sets of wheels... several engines, trannies, windshields... at least 8 feet of cargo room in Aerostar, or 11 feet and 2000+lbs of spare GVW if I take my maxi-van.

I hate running empty, so if I do this I would just as soon have a load.

i highly recommend skipping the toll road(80-90) thru the indiana stretch, as a lot of it is under construction, the weather, chicago etc.

you can take us 30, jump on it from joliet il, you can take it thru to fort wayne.

as far as the toll road, there are signs posted from indy north that say "expect long delays)

this route will bring you through fort wayne, IN, feel free to stop by!

if you want to take the toll road from fort wayne you can jog back nortn, its not so bad from there going east. but its all toll road pretty much between chicago and toledo. i would take another route around that if toll costs are an issue(toll+axle=axle< towing) i once took a van and trailet to chicago, 2 azle trailer i was hitting 4 dollar toll booths for the extra axles

Thanks, MilesFox. I have not planned my route yet, and it will be subject to weather and pickup/delivery points. (And avoiding toll roads and their delays would certainly be OK with me.) When the SERIOUS planning starts I am definitely going to ask for local advice!!!

BTW, the trip is just about certain. I just have to do the e-paperwork for my $200 car, receive my new dolly straps courtesy of Coloradosubarules (a million thanks!), and keep an eye on weather reports for Jan 8th and after.

Any locals who want to set up a pickup/delivery point along my probable route are certainly welcome to do so. I know a couple folk on the West Coast were interested in East Coast stuff (LSDs, windshields, et al) but shipping looked like a killer. This might be an option for them.

not trying to be nosey but what are you getting in PA?

I already know what Paul is getting but what could be so good that you would tow it 2500 miles?

OHHHHH the suspense,

Matt

I wish that the reality matched the imagining. I should leave you in suspense, but that seems cruel. So, I am getting

anyone else get the feeling northwet poses as his own pimp in his spare time ?

hmm the visual of him all pimped up with the fur coat and big hat just makes me laugh

hehehe

oops dam i almost forgot to add teh pimp cane.. after all he is not the youngest pimp in town hehe

all kidding asie ..sorta hehe

good luck sadly i have no money so i can't afford to add to your weight load

I wish that the reality matched the imagining. I should leave you in suspense, but that seems cruel. So, I am getting

:lol:

Wow,this could really turn into something big here.Well,Mudrat has some wheels if they could get to the car.Someone else has some parts and was maybe going to go by John's....maybe get it all to Pat's...well,I can't expect all that but we'll see what else can make it into the '73 to come my way.

As for return trip goods,I have Brat windshields,all glass,etc...

also have a brush bar paid for by 75skunkaroo in Montana ;)

....to be continued.

I need to make a trip to Portland area to get some stuff that I asked about a while ago, including stuff from mudrat. (Hope you all haven't got tired of waiting for me to get down there.) So, anything that makes it to Portland, or maybe even as far south as Eugene, can get included.

Well, sorry I got cut off while typing earlier, but I will tell you what it isn't:

It isn't an 88 XT... cause I just brought that one home. Non-turbo (yet :brow: ), MPFI, spider intake, PB 5-speed, $200. PO was told by PHusband that HG was blown, but me thinks it is just a very plugged radiator. Drove home just fine with heater blasting.

Wow,this is turning into one heck of a great Christmas story.I may actually get my wheels from Mudrat!!!! :banana::lol: .....yeeeeehaaaa.

I think I might even send him some money and hope to get a serious front bumper for my Brat....or something cool like that.John,you got a catalog yet? :)

Pat,we'll talk soon.I hope you got my message about the payout.Hope it's good to cover the ordeal.

... Pat,we'll talk soon.I hope you got my message about the payout.Hope it's good to cover the ordeal.
It's far more than I will accept. :) I'm not looking to make money off of this, just to make my back-haul less silly (and my wife says, "more affordable") and help out a few people along the way. :banana:

I should have my PA deal e-finalized in a few hours. Also, looking to borrow brother-in-law's Explorer for the trip... 4WD sounds like a better idea than RWD. And where he is right now, they don't get much snow. :(

So, get ready to make your shopping lists and your local transportation plans. Shipping should cost pennies on the dollar, so take advantage of my lunacy and moosens enabling.

Monstaru, unless they moved Spokane since last year, I will be passing right through... Going out I-90 before dropping south to I-80-ish. Moosens '73 is near Ellensburg, so makes sense...

Trip is a "Go"!

Just made my e-payment for my '90 Legacy sedan (*hears groans of minor disappointment*). Yeah, its a long way to go for a '90 Legacy, but YaTaHey. The destination isn't as important as the journey. :)

Ok, Monstaru.

Northguy, I saw your post on scrappy's thread first, so posted there. Basically, you are way ahead of me on shipping details. :)

I think that I will start a thread in "Market Place" where people can post there confirmed pickups and deliveries (unless somebody knowledgeable has a better idea).

Trip is still tentatively planned for Jan 8th or shortly thereafter.

I would also like route suggestions, as I haven't gone the northern route before. I am leaving Seattle area, heading to Spokane along I-90... eventually ending up at moosens in CT. Then I am dropping down at least as far as southern PA to pick up my Leg, sounds like stuff in VA to get (unless it can be brought north a little by locals :)), then back to WA.

Route depends alot on pickup/delivery points along the way. I don't mind deviating a few hundred miles for major stuff, but it would be nice if locals came together to get stuff close to my route... and I think it would be good for the subie community. :):)

Again, I am not wanting normal shipping rates, just maybe a couple of bucks to help defray expenses, both mine and moosens.

Monstaru, unless they moved Spokane since last year, I will be passing right through... Going out I-90 before dropping south to I-80-ish. Moosens '73 is near Ellensburg, so makes sense...

Trip is a "Go"!

Just made my e-payment for my '90 Legacy sedan (*hears groans of minor disappointment*). Yeah, its a long way to go for a '90 Legacy, but YaTaHey. The destination isn't as important as the journey. :)

Yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

Oh man I'm so tickled right now......I'm smiling about as big a smile as I can.

Wow,this is news to print!!!!

Pat,What kind of food do you like?

If people from the VA area want to work some of the stuff up here to my place I am only a few miles off the PA TPK and could put them in my shed for this gentleman to PU. I don't care what it is but no cars (unliscened and uninsured) but whatever else I am willing to store for the good of the cause.....

If I can help in anyway with this "move" of parts let me know.... I think what you are doing NorthWet is awesome and very cool too!

Matt