Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rough Idle, Smooth in Neutral

Things are noticeably worse when the car is cold, but when im stopped at a stop light the car is pretty rough. Also there is a clicking noise while driving. My first thought was the notoriously noisey lifters but if i put the transmission into neutral everything is smooth and quiet, even when revving the engine. Trans fluid looks fine, and i took the car to Carter about six weeks ago (7000 miles since then) for the 30k service. Its a 2000 outback automatic, so its out of warranty unfortunately. They said everything was well while they had it, but i hadnt specifically complained about this.

Think this is something i should be concerned about? Is there anything I should check out?

Cotten, as far as I can tell from our two ATs, one '95, one '00 they all do it. Our solution ... put it in neutral for a long light. I don't think it hurts anything, just irritating.

Is the ticking new, only when cold, or all the time, loud enough to be scary, or just like the idle shake?

Ive only had the car a few months, so cant really say if the ticking is new or not. Its not real loud, just enough to be noticeable. It also goes away when its in neutral, and increases while accellerating, but not while revving in neutral. I end up just putting it in neutral for most lights. Guess its a not to worry!

Cotten, as far as I can tell from our two ATs, one '95, one '00 they all do it. Our solution ... put it in neutral for a long light. I don't think it hurts anything, just irritating.

Is the ticking new, only when cold, or all the time, loud enough to be scary, or just like the idle shake?

• 1 month later...
Things are noticeably worse when the car is cold, but when im stopped at a stop light the car is pretty rough.
I have a '96 Legacy with the same problem, and a service advisor whose opinion I value a lot told me it could be the motor mounts, which do get less flexible when they're old (or cold?) The sad part was he said it takes a lot of labor to replace all the mounts, for a total charge of $1,000 -- yowzah! Me, I put my car in neutral at stop lights when it gets annoying. :-)

- Bright1

P.S. Can't help you on the ticking, mine ticks, too. AWD is nice, but I miss the quiet purr of my last Honda.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 98 outback. I have been having this problem for over a year., rough idle when cold in gear the whole car shakes. Put in neutral goes away. Its been to three dealers. One say to do tune up (daaaaaah) one says we loosend the motor mounts and retightened them? . Now the check engine light came on a few time and it started to miss very bad then cleared up. I bought it in once more to the dealer. now they say cylinder #3 reported a missfire and I need a valve job!!!.And the o2 sensor #2 reported something with the cat flow. I asked if they did a compression test they said NO.

How could they poss know if the valves where bad. I took the car home and tested it my self .Compress was 180 psi all cylinders. Replaced Cat #2 and both 02 sensors. Car still runs like crap at idle & very bad when cold. Check Engine light still going on and off!

I am about @ the end of my rope with this car do not know what else to change or do.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

take it to your local auto parts store and have them read the code that the ECU stores. Bring that code to us for further diagnosis. From the old code stored, you have an intermitant misfire on #3. This could cause raw fuel to be poured down into the cats and cause them some damage. It will also throw your fuel trim way off. . . Hmmmm recursive problem? OK folks, will a battery dance clear fuel trim memory?

• 3 weeks later...
take it to your local auto parts store and have them read the code that the ECU stores. Bring that code to us for further diagnosis. From the old code stored, you have an intermitant misfire on #3. This could cause raw fuel to be poured down into the cats and cause them some damage. It will also throw your fuel trim way off. . . Hmmmm recursive problem? OK folks, will a battery dance clear fuel trim memory?

I had the code read. # 3 cylinder missfire? I did compressinn test 180lbs. Changed plugs,

and wires. still the same. Its just very inconsistent. much worse when cold. dealer said I need valve work?

I find my 92 legacy is similar. It idles smooth as butter, but a little rough at a stop while in drive - not badly though. I generally slip into neutral as well for these, but I'm used to driving a manual so I have a compulsive need to shift.