Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru locker?

mtnman38

Hey all Its time for another retro question. OK did subaru in any of thier models offer a locker for the rear end if so what model is it? Do they have one with a locker for the front wheels incased in the trans and would the parts go into a 84 ea81 4wd dual range 5 speed with ea82 rear end?

If I am, just dreaming (about stock subaru lockers) what or where might I find a solution for locking the suby Thanks LT

With the RX Center diff open, the power isnt really sent to the front or rear. Its sent to whichever end has the least amount of traction... just like any open diff would. With it locked, it sends power 50/50 front and rear, like a locked diff would.

A 4WD EA82 has no center diff. When you put your car into 4WD, its 50/50 like a locked diff would act.

-Brian

You could search long and hard for the rear axle assembly from a 91 turbo legacy with the VLSD rearend. Then you could find a way to stuff it under your rearend.

Hope this helps..

How could I tell if it has this rearend by looking at it ? Do all 91 turbo legacys have this rear end whats the v stand for? variable? Thanks LT

• 6 years later...
Hey all Its time for another retro question. OK did subaru in any of thier models offer a locker for the rear end if so what model is it? Do they have one with a locker for the front wheels incased in the trans and would the parts go into a 84 ea81 4wd dual range 5 speed with ea82 rear end?

If I am, just dreaming (about stock subaru lockers) what or where might I find a solution for locking the suby Thanks LT

Not any companies, but this will and should help you to understand.

And I will be working with my machinist buddy to create a mini spool for my '82 brat.

once that is programmed, I will post it :)

Skip out!

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/subaru/

Edited by SKIPPYH2O
forgot link.

Not any companies, but this will and should help you to understand.

And I will be working with my machinist buddy to create a mini spool for my '82 brat.

once that is programmed, I will post it :)

Skip out!

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/subaru/

Look at the date on the post .This thread is almost 8 yrs old.;)

No need to make a spool.Just weld it if that is what you want.

cheers

All 1991 Turbo Legacy got the VLSD standard, automatics, 5speeds, every single one it was Standard equipment, ONLY for year 1991.

It was not even optional on the 92-94, could not even be special ordered on 92+

since we have bumper the dead, thread of past, might as well add real facts.