Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stereo Install- Can I cut this?

Hey guys,

I just bought myself a christmas present, a new CD Stereo for my '84 GL wagon, at Circut City (where I bought it) I was informed that it wasn't much of a possibility to install it, and the only way they could was with this weird kit that built out the front of the console. It didn't make any sense to me, so rather than spend god knows how much to get them to get it in, I decided to do it myself. I've just mad custom brackets and a face plate to install a CD player into my 280ZX, so I didn't figure it would be hard. I enlarged the factory tap player hole and got the stereo t ofit great, until I put it in the car. I no know why they had to build it out, it is hitting the lower (floor) heater box.

My question is this, can I cut the lower (angled part) 3 inches or whatever off? It seems hollow inside, and has lots of holes anyway... I just want to make sure I'm not whacking into anything important.

If this will work, I've got to take it in at 8am for the install.

Thanks

how I installed mine was I inlarge the pocket and move the pocket to the old radio hole if you are carefull it will cover theold radio hole perfecty.

Well I've got it mounted into the console fine, it's just hitting in the rear. That's a great idea on moving the pocket though, I've left the factory radio in the top for now, with the new one below it. I really need to know if I can cut into this floor ducting.

The 81 Subaru's had a too short clearance from the back of the radio to where the stick shift is. Most radios are at least an inch longer than the clearance in the 81 subaru's.

I've asked the installer about possibly mounting the radio vertically, or taking out the whole console and starting from scratch. Option three is repair the Clarion radio that actually was already installed and that fit.

What have others done? It's so strange that with all the cool things I like about my subaru they really messed up on the radio clearance and the radio that came with the subaru was basically a joke.

It's crazy.

I may have had room if I put it in the factory radio hole at the top, but I would've lost the use of the ash tray and had a gaping hole on the right side. I don't smoke, but it's worth leaving for the light or a place to put change if need be. I had no idea it would be this big of a pain, I would've waited for summer if I had.

Find a console from an '81 in the junkyard, sedan or wagon. The angle is different so you'll have room for the length and facia can be cut for the new radio. The radio will be facing upwards. Once you see it, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. There are a number of threads discussing this problem with '84s. Search using "84 radio console" as your search terms and you ought to find the threads.

the first stereo i put in my 84 i just left it hanging out a bit and you had to be carefull shifting into third. when i took it into get the tires replaced i told them that it is hard to get it into reverse and when they get to that point have me come and pull it out. well they didn't and in the prosess of fighting with the shifter ended up trashing my radio. i was pissed and they wouldn't do any thing about it. thankfully it was a cheap tape deck. the secound deck i put in there was around $400 and i put it at a slight angle so that it was in the console all the way. the next time i ad tires put on i told the people installing the tires about last time. and warned them that if they hurt it they would be buying me a new one. it was amazing they called me back to back the car out.

you can undo the screws that hold the console in place and let the cosole sit out enough to fill the gap of the radio, if you can figure a way to slot the holes to reinsert the screws.

No, it's pushing the whole thing out about an inch or more (because it's angled at the bottom. I'm just going to have to cut off the front of this ducting, and then go back later and fabricate a new and recessed front for it out of sheet metal.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Finally got the stereo in with the help of a guy who owns a audio shop near my house. The guy let me in when they were closed on Christmas eve and gave me the parts to fix the problem for free! Needless to say, he'll be putting in the dash speakers and installing the sunroof for me this spring.

He gave me a spacer that was brought it out from the console a half inch at most and it gave me plenty of room, and dosen't look bad either. I'll post pics of it soon. Thanks for all the help guys.