Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TWE and Cometic HGs

WJM

Keith (Keith at TWE) and i were talking...Keith is going to get Cometic to make Head Gaskets for the EA82T...as he is building one up.

Price: about $70 each...as in, per side...but no final price is set...but thats the estimate.

These HGs are supposed to hold up to 40+ PSI boost all day long. :slobber::banana:

Shadow is in for a set or two, I am in for a set or two...Keith(TWE Keith) ofcourse for a set.

Who else might be interested?

I thought you had a bad taste in your mouth after your experience with copper HG's Will...

Also, you can get the set from headgaskets.com for $90. For the pair.

These are NOT copper. And the only bad taste I have in my mouth is due to the utter lack of humidity in the house after waking up.... :drunk:

Given the choice, i woudl get copper HGs again...simply due to the reuseability...as long as I got some Paeco studs.

The cometics are multi layer metal HGs with some other kinda of material on the metal. They are supposed to seal great and hold like mentioned before with the stock bolts. :banana:

I thought you had a bad taste in your mouth after your experience with copper HG's Will...

Also, you can get the set from headgaskets.com for $90. For the pair.

So, there's no reason to shop for the $70 a pair ones right? I mean, they are the same headgaskets we are talking about right? I just want to be sure that I (and everyone else) am on the same page as you are and understand what you are saying.

So, there's no reason to shop for the $70 a pair ones right? I mean, they are the same headgaskets we are talking about right? I just want to be sure that I (and everyone else) am on the same page as you are and understand what you are saying.

Huh? The ones I am talking about are custom made ones from Cometic...just liek the ones they make for the EJ engines that support very high combustion presures...aka high boost/nitrous....to my knowledge they are multilayer metal ones with some kind of other material on them for sealing.

The copper ones from headgasket.com/gasket works usa are purely copper ones.

I was gauging interest maybe 3 weeks ago on these things.

Cometic will not do them unless you order 25 gaskets. Unless TWE wants to order 25 gaskets and keep them in stock. They can be had for a little less than 70 USD though

with both....you cannot just pull off the heads, and slap them on. With the cometics especially, you MUST send the block and head out, and have them machined perfectly flat. There is also a surface finish tolerance on that need to be applied to the head and block, which is basically a polishing process.

This needs to be done for either, orelse there is no possible way they are going to seal properly.

Yeah...i agree on the surface trueness. If the surfaces were done like so on for the OE HGs...they would not blow so easily.

Keith at TWE wants some cometics for his wagon...so whatever the Min order is...hes going to get them...at least thats the impression I got from him. And I think the price was less...but I cant remember. I know the EJ ones are really cheap online...but I dont know if they are the same as the EA82 ones are/will be.

Just an FYI: The Ej22 OEM gasket uses similar material to ea81/ea82 gaskets. You only move to a metal layered gasket at the ej25 engines.

Irony is, the ej25 is known for head gasket failure and the ej22 is not.

Im not convinced that the EA engines need anything fancy for Headgaskets. Just an OEM gasket and spray it with copper to fill in imperfections. If you are having repeat problems it may be the block or heads are warped (heads likely).

the OEM headgaskets are fine for day to day grocery getting.

However...on our race cars....no matter what we do...we'll blow atleast 1 head gasket per season (6 weekends). It has to do with the coolant passage design. The HOT water from the turbo is dumped straight into the head, and get's hot. Blows the headgaskets in no time when your making alot of boost, and on the power for a LONG (when racing/rallying). We put brand new head gaskets in our rally car, we made is 7 stages before they blew.

... The HOT water from the turbo is dumped straight into the head, and get's hot...
Both my assumption and my FSM says that the water flows from the head, through the turbo, then on to the t-stat housing. I am more than willing to accept that my assumption is wrong, but is the FSM wrong , too? :confused:

Pat

Both my assumption and my FSM says that the water flows from the head, through the turbo, then on to the t-stat housing. I am more than willing to accept that my assumption is wrong, but is the FSM wrong , too? :confused:

Pat

I'm glad you said this. I was about to ask if the coolant from the turbo could just be routed to another location rather than the head. However, if the FSM holds true, then you pose an interesting question. Inquiring minds want to know. :-\