Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TWE and Cometic HGs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 09:29 PM

Keith (Keith at TWE) and i were talking...Keith is going to get Cometic to make Head Gaskets for the EA82T...as he is building one up.

Price: about $70 each...as in, per side...but no final price is set...but thats the estimate.

These HGs are supposed to hold up to 40+ PSI boost all day long. :slobber: :banana:

Shadow is in for a set or two, I am in for a set or two...Keith(TWE Keith) ofcourse for a set.

Who else might be interested?

#2 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 24 December 2004 - 10:22 PM

maybe me if I have the money at the time

#3 Subarutex

Subarutex

Oldschool Show Queen

• 2,531 posts
  • Mountlake Terrace

Posted 25 December 2004 - 02:17 AM

I thought you had a bad taste in your mouth after your experience with copper HG's Will...

Also, you can get the set from headgaskets.com for $90. For the pair.

#4 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 07:30 AM

I thought you had a bad taste in your mouth after your experience with copper HG's Will...

These are NOT copper. And the only bad taste I have in my mouth is due to the utter lack of humidity in the house after waking up.... :drunk:

Given the choice, i woudl get copper HGs again...simply due to the reuseability...as long as I got some Paeco studs.

The cometics are multi layer metal HGs with some other kinda of material on the metal. They are supposed to seal great and hold like mentioned before with the stock bolts. :banana:

#5 Myxalplyx

Myxalplyx

Old Wise and Dumb

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • New Castle

Posted 25 December 2004 - 02:25 PM

So, there's no reason to shop for the $70 a pair ones right? I mean, they are the same headgaskets we are talking about right? I just want to be sure that I (and everyone else) am on the same page as you are and understand what you are saying.

#6 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 02:39 PM

So, there's no reason to shop for the $70 a pair ones right? I mean, they are the same headgaskets we are talking about right? I just want to be sure that I (and everyone else) am on the same page as you are and understand what you are saying.

Huh? The ones I am talking about are custom made ones from Cometic...just liek the ones they make for the EJ engines that support very high combustion presures...aka high boost/nitrous....to my knowledge they are multilayer metal ones with some kind of other material on them for sealing.

The copper ones from headgasket.com/gasket works usa are purely copper ones.

#7 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,854 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 25 December 2004 - 06:10 PM

hmm I got the money Will so yeah I'd be interested:D

#8 Do It Sidewayz

Do It Sidewayz

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Toronto, Ontario

Posted 26 December 2004 - 03:52 PM

I was gauging interest maybe 3 weeks ago on these things.

Cometic will not do them unless you order 25 gaskets. Unless TWE wants to order 25 gaskets and keep them in stock. They can be had for a little less than 70 USD though

with both....you cannot just pull off the heads, and slap them on. With the cometics especially, you MUST send the block and head out, and have them machined perfectly flat. There is also a surface finish tolerance on that need to be applied to the head and block, which is basically a polishing process.

This needs to be done for either, orelse there is no possible way they are going to seal properly.

#9 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 09:55 PM

Yeah...i agree on the surface trueness. If the surfaces were done like so on for the OE HGs...they would not blow so easily.

Keith at TWE wants some cometics for his wagon...so whatever the Min order is...hes going to get them...at least thats the impression I got from him. And I think the price was less...but I cant remember. I know the EJ ones are really cheap online...but I dont know if they are the same as the EA82 ones are/will be.

#10 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,917 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 27 December 2004 - 12:46 AM

Just an FYI: The Ej22 OEM gasket uses similar material to ea81/ea82 gaskets. You only move to a metal layered gasket at the ej25 engines.

Irony is, the ej25 is known for head gasket failure and the ej22 is not.

Im not convinced that the EA engines need anything fancy for Headgaskets. Just an OEM gasket and spray it with copper to fill in imperfections. If you are having repeat problems it may be the block or heads are warped (heads likely).

#11 Do It Sidewayz

Do It Sidewayz

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Toronto, Ontario

Posted 27 December 2004 - 01:00 AM

the OEM headgaskets are fine for day to day grocery getting.

However...on our race cars....no matter what we do...we'll blow atleast 1 head gasket per season (6 weekends). It has to do with the coolant passage design. The HOT water from the turbo is dumped straight into the head, and get's hot. Blows the headgaskets in no time when your making alot of boost, and on the power for a LONG (when racing/rallying). We put brand new head gaskets in our rally car, we made is 7 stages before they blew.

#12 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 27 December 2004 - 01:30 AM

... The HOT water from the turbo is dumped straight into the head, and get's hot...

Both my assumption and my FSM says that the water flows from the head, through the turbo, then on to the t-stat housing. I am more than willing to accept that my assumption is wrong, but is the FSM wrong , too? :confused:

Pat

#13 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 07:33 AM

Both my assumption and my FSM says that the water flows from the head, through the turbo, then on to the t-stat housing. I am more than willing to accept that my assumption is wrong, but is the FSM wrong , too? :confused:

Pat

Yeah. :confused:

#14 Myxalplyx

Myxalplyx

Old Wise and Dumb

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • New Castle

Posted 27 December 2004 - 07:55 AM

Pat

I'm glad you said this. I was about to ask if the coolant from the turbo could just be routed to another location rather than the head. However, if the FSM holds true, then you pose an interesting question. Inquiring minds want to know. :-\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users