Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Whirring" Noise from underside of car

wb 86

I just got in to my hometown and thought I might check out a short trail that runs along the delaware river, bout a 1/2 mile loop, but has a bunch of deep ruts and frozen mud puddles. Much to my dismay roughly 100 yds in the trail is blocked with old telephone poles, prolly closed by the park service. So I just ran through the two deep puddles by the parking lot then turn around and headed home.

I didn't flog my wagon to hard but on the pavement I heard a loud whirring noise that remained constant all the way home. It hasn't ever made this sound before but it sounds like a loud electric motor, possibly the fuel pump? It ran fine the 25 mile ride back to my rents house, no loss of power or stuttering or anything that might suggest a bad pump. Do fuel pumps make a noise before they go? Its after midnight but in my driveway I think I narrowed the noise down to the rear end of the car which led me to believe its the fuel pump. Can a pump be loud but still function properly? This may be irrelevant but its 10 degrees out and most of the under body got wet and there is some ice on the underside.

I have all day tomorrow to figure it out and any suggestions on what could be making the noise are appreciated. After it sits tonight I'll start going over it on sat. before I make the 160 mile ride to my apt. Its a bone-stock 93 loyale w/ 168K on the odo.

tia

Craig

Well what ever it was its gone at least for now. I let my wagon sit in a garage and thaw out overnight and it seems to run fine and the noise is gone. The pump kicks over when I turn the key to the acc. position and then when it starts the pump is barely noticable and sounds like it has for the last 100K. Must of had something to do w/ the cold. It was 57 deg and raining on wed and thur

Now its 9 deg and bone dry.

Thanks

Craig