Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Available Motor Swaps for E-82 owners

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smgjmg

smgjmg

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • maple valley

Posted 25 December 2004 - 11:33 PM

Just wondered about any available motor swaps to make my ru a little faster. I have 86 Gl hatchback with a 1.8L carb. Any options or opinions would be appreciated. Thank you..

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 25 December 2004 - 11:39 PM

the hatchback is an ea81 but you can put an ea82 in just as easily. is you car auto or stick, 2 or 4wd?

an ea82 with carb from an 85 or 86 wagon or sedan,3-door will be ideal. go with the ea82 y pipe also

#3 smgjmg

smgjmg

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • maple valley

Posted 25 December 2004 - 11:42 PM

I have a 5spd and it is 4wd. I have an 86 hb with a carbed 1.8L. Just wodering what I can do to make it faster. Thanks

the hatchback is an ea81 but you can put an ea82 in just as easily. is you car auto or stick, 2 or 4wd?

an ea82 with carb from an 85 or 86 wagon or sedan,3-door will be ideal. go with the ea82 y pipe also

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 26 December 2004 - 01:12 AM

ok, you have what is called a 3-door. hatchback referrs to the older models. for 86 the hatchback refers to the STD model. yours must be a gl model

not much for swapping motor without swapping in harnesses and ecu's. but your best bet would to find some sort of weber carburetor and do some customs to the exhaust

what kind of driving does your car see?

#5 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 10:59 AM

You could do a SPFI swap for a few more HPs...or MPFI for a little more...or, if you really want to get into it, a turbo swap. You can get 200 HP out of them reliably. You will need more of a 'racing' type clutch for that tho...there are several options that have come about that are very streetable and takes the power.

Or...you can do an EJ swap...alot involved there...but the EJ's are nearly bullet proof like the NA EA82's...and put out 135~165 ponies....unlike the EA82's NA 80~97 HP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users