Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Available Motor Swaps for E-82 owners

I have a 5spd and it is 4wd. I have an 86 hb with a carbed 1.8L. Just wodering what I can do to make it faster. Thanks

the hatchback is an ea81 but you can put an ea82 in just as easily. is you car auto or stick, 2 or 4wd?

an ea82 with carb from an 85 or 86 wagon or sedan,3-door will be ideal. go with the ea82 y pipe also

ok, you have what is called a 3-door. hatchback referrs to the older models. for 86 the hatchback refers to the STD model. yours must be a gl model

not much for swapping motor without swapping in harnesses and ecu's. but your best bet would to find some sort of weber carburetor and do some customs to the exhaust

what kind of driving does your car see?

You could do a SPFI swap for a few more HPs...or MPFI for a little more...or, if you really want to get into it, a turbo swap. You can get 200 HP out of them reliably. You will need more of a 'racing' type clutch for that tho...there are several options that have come about that are very streetable and takes the power.

Or...you can do an EJ swap...alot involved there...but the EJ's are nearly bullet proof like the NA EA82's...and put out 135~165 ponies....unlike the EA82's NA 80~97 HP.