Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have not driven one. Some say the H6 is too peaky and doesn't deliver much better performance at road speeds. Others say they're far more relaxed on the highway, in hills, and with a load.

If you own one, do you find the cost difference worthwhile? What kind of real-world mileage are you getting?

Just considering it, I don't fit in the cars with sunroof and it looks like thaey all come with them.

Bought a H6 2004 Outback last spring and have been happy with it. Have not installed a trailer hitch yet but it appears capable of towing my small 13 foot boat. As to the "peaky power" I can not speak. Last thing I drove with that was a two hundred lbs, 40+ HP six speed shifter kart on road courses. The Subaru is just for getting around. It does a good job intown and on the highway. Just spent 900 miles on the highway this weekend and running constantly 60+ on the back rural roads and 75 on the major highways I ended up with an average of 25 mph. Almost exactly what we get in town just running around. I run mid grade gas in it although premium would not raise the cost per year but by about $60.00.

Great car. Great Value.

I have owned both the H6 and H4 OBW's and I will tell you that which ever one you buy, you won't be disappointed. Between my two cars, I would say that I liked the H6 better but that's because it was a nicer, better-equipped car than the H4, not so much because of the engine itself. It also cost $8,000 more. To me, it was worth the extra $$$ and the H6 is a sweet engine. The LL Bean Outback is without question the nicest car, overall, that I've ever owned or driven (and I've owned 3 new BMW's a new SAAB, Corvette LT4, Camaro LS1, Trans Am, etc.) The information you have about the H6, from both sides of the fence, is correct. It is peakier than the H4 and in real world driving, it doesn't seem much more powerful. However, under full-throttle, balls-out driving, the H6 will walk away from the H4. And it is much smoother and quieter at all speeds. Almost any driving situation just seems comlpletely effortless for the H6, even if it doesn't have the rally car acceleration of a WRX. Also, I got the same gas mileage from both the H6 and H4, the only drawback being the .20 per gallon difference because the H6 specifies 92 octane. If you can afford it and you like all the bells and whistles of the H6 cars, then go for it and you won't regret it. That being said, the H4 Outback is probably one of the best buys on the market and is the way to go if you prefer simplicity and you don't care about the extra cost options of the H6 cars. Hope this helps.

Ron