Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How wide...?

WJM

So...im starting to get out the serious numbers....

Im seriously considering the 5 lug conversion...aloing with installing some USDM/JDM STi Brembo brakes...that means 17 inch+ wheels only.

So...245/45/17 Khumo MX's would be my plan for street tires...i think I might use the new STi stuff so I can use the 17x8 USDM STi wheels...its like 5x114 or something...same as SVX.

For race tires...the 315/35/17, either Hooiser A3S04, Khumo Victoracer or V700 are avalible...those are the same diameter as the streets(i woudl also be revamping the entire transmission...possibly using an EJ box)...but obviously 70MM wider....ofcourse I would be getting some 17x11 or 12 rims for those.

The question is...Im wondering, and I think its possible...to make a widebody kit and not have to start relocating peices of unibody. I can roll/flare for tire clearance all I want in Street Mod for Solo 2...custom work for this is not an issue, i can get it done no problem, and I'll have fully adjustable coilovers setup for some serious roadcourse/solo2 action...so I can adjust the height to whatever I want. :headbang:

What kind of issues do ya'll see me having trouble with?

i think I might use the new STi stuff so I can use the 17x8 USDM STi wheels...its like 5x114 or something...same as SVX.

That means using the new STi wheel bearing stuff....im working on how to do the rear and stay in SM. 05 STi=STRONG.

I was looking into this a few days ago just for fun. I was considering all the tires sizes available for a 17 inch rim and wanting the widest that I guessed may fit in the wheel well. I came up with 235/40-17. This is the tire size I think I would use if I were to do the 5-lug swap. I didn't want to go too large in diameter because it may make the car really slow. As of right now, I am happy with my pugs with 225/50-15.

ive been really careful selecting race tires with the rim selection i have for the 4x140 pattern...i found the best to be the 235/45/13...thats ALOT shorter than stock...really makes the car stay in the powerband on autox courses... :banana:

205/60/13 is what I have for the street tire.

When i get to the 5 lug and the big 17 inchers...the gearing will be redone...so the 245/45/17 will be almost the "stock" diameter for the gearing I will have. :burnout:

the '05 STi lug pattern is 5x114.3 I've been looking at rims because I'm gonna be getting a pimpin set of Sparcos once I get the 5-lug done. 17x7s I believe I was looking at. Then planning on going with some 205/40R17s for them. I'm doing a rear 3.90 LSD for it and maybe get a phanton grip front 3.90 LSD from Mudrat in a RX tranny....

y'know..I've never heard of a bearing failure on our stock hubs that wasn't related to seal failure and/or grease breakdown...in otherwords our hubs are a$$ strong. I've never seen a hub that uses bearings that big outside of a truck..I keep looking at our cars and I gotta say it took one major pot hole to mess up a ball joint on the family impreza, but I've beaten my car to $#!@ and back on 50 series tires and every front end link is as solid as the day they got redone about 2 years ago..I'm considering getting my pugs widened at the machine shop to restore stock offset, thus allowing me to go up to possibly 245 series rubber..My next step is then some 11x20mm rotors 'adjusted' to mount on the stock hubs with an adapter plate stepping the caliper mount out to the new disc..then 11x10mm rotors once again 'adjusted' to fit on the back..added to that will be the legacy MC @ 1" bore to improve brake feel and performance..for pads; EBC green stuff 'adjusted' with a roll pin to allow the E-brake to function within spec. That should give me extremely good stopping power for our 2600+ lb cars..

I'll let you guys know how it goes..

I know I'd want to put sti stuff on my car but I know our puny MC would feel like mush and fluid volume would be insufficient. I dunno if the sti MC designed to work with abs will integrate easily with our setup without the ABS..I know for sure the legacy part mounts right up so I'd consider that a serious must on that setup..highest bore legacy MC is 1 1/16"..

ahh sti...