Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NO! You'll blow holes in the pistons. Turbocharged engines have a lower mechanical compression. If you force feed a na engine - high compression - bad things happen very quickly.

You will need to replace the pistons, maybe the crankshaft, and certainly the injector nozzles - they need to be bigger to feed more fuel to join the force fed air.

I HAVE HAD A 10:1 COMPRESSION TURBO CAR WORK GREAT! and there are a couple 9.5:1 compression ea82s running around with great results, on stock computer and internals. im just wondering about the fuel injectors and computer. does the maf sensor just measure the air coming, even if its boosted? trust me the high comp will be fine:banana:

Why couldn't it be done? Subaru doesn't make any crappy engines, just the turbo ones are better...

If Sport Compact Car can turbocharge an 11.5:1 comp engine like the Matrix XRS, then you should have no problem doing 9.5:1...

I couldn't agree with Legacy777 more, though. It has to be properly done. With proper tuning, the engine should be as durable with the boost as without it. :headbang:

Well the matter of the pistons staying in one piece and not melt has additional factors beyond A/F, timing and CR. There is also the matter of how the pistons were constructed. I believe that the stock pistons are either investment cast or die cast. Now this is fine for stock or mildly boosted application. Now when you start dealing with high boost and add a high CR, well you're going to need a set of forged pistons.

if you keep boost under 10 psi and use a good piggyback system and add a good intercooler and a water sprayer on it and an aquamist water injection system you will have no problem turbocharging a ej22. this is the advice i got from paul eklund owner of primitive racing and a pioneer of the hybrid turbo imprezas in the us. this wont get you alot of hp but off boost it will have more power than a turbo motor.

greg