Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rough Idle

Lang

Have an EA82 that has developed a rough idle, have to run above normal idle to keep motor turning, have checked everything possible and re built the carby, also tried another carby, same problem, to me it seems to be getting a vacuum at idle revs and I strongly suspect something to do with the anti pollution gear. Any help would be great as it's got me frustrated, the workshop manual doe's not cover the anti pollution gear too well, but have done my best, it will idle for a short period then gradually slows 'till it stops and occasionally will change revs up and down, got me beat ..It will run perfectly on the road..

I know you said you've checked everything, how about a fuel filter? I've had vehicles not start and we've tried everything and then replaced the fuel filter...started right up

[HTi]Johnson

Thanks , have new fuel pump,filter, plugs, leads, cap checked, air filter,choke setting, mixture and etc; it's the change in idle from fast to slow , surgeing all the time that makes me think of a vacuum or air problem, have spent hours trying to resolve this and everything I try wont fix. The main problem I have is not understanding what the wonderful valves and heavens knows what on the anti pollution gear actually do and work. My workshop manual is not much use, trys to cover too many models.. a diagram of the various pipes and brief description of what does what would help a lot, can't track one down. Nearest Subaru dealer is three hours away, why am trying to fix.. Thanks Lang