Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cold High Idle. What controlls it?

Hi all again!

My 1997 GT Wgn with it's DOHC 2.5 is having it's first winter with me (it's a 5 spd). It's seems weird to me that this car stays in HIGH Idle, even when the car is warm. It's in the teens outside. The engine insist on running in the 2,500 to 3,000 rpm range! If I were to stop at a light or a Stop Sign let's say, the engine up to full Temp, if I hung out there for a what I think is a long time the RPM's will come down to normal, let's say 850 RPM's or so. So....is THIS normal? What controls the High Idle on this car? Can it be something as simple as the throttle needs to be lubed? Because the cold Temps are contracting around throttle cable? Can that be?

HELP!!! SubeeTed

Hi all again!

My 1997 GT Wgn with it's DOHC 2.5 is having it's first winter with me (it's a 5 spd). It's seems weird to me that this car stays in HIGH Idle, even when the car is warm. It's in the teens outside. The engine insist on running in the 2,500 to 3,000 rpm range! If I were to stop at a light or a Stop Sign let's say, the engine up to full Temp, if I hung out there for a what I think is a long time the RPM's will come down to normal, let's say 850 RPM's or so. So....is THIS normal? What controls the High Idle on this car? Can it be something as simple as the throttle needs to be lubed? Because the cold Temps are contracting around throttle cable? Can that be?

HELP!!! SubeeTed

Shouldn't go past 1700rpm

Cold idle shouldn't reach above 2000rpm, and that's only just after starting. From there 1500rpm would be normal.

So, try cleaning the throttle return spring with some compressed air. I mean the one on/near the throttle body, in the engine compartment.

You can apply some thin oil to it, but blow the excess out. Otherwise dirt will cling to the spring and make things worse.