Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cruise Control Not Working

• 3 weeks later...
I took ownership of a 97 outback yesterday and the only think I have found that doesn't work is the Cruise Control.

The light on the dash goes on but the Cruise doesn't engage.

Does anyone have any tips on this type of problem.

Thanks,

Bill

Do all of the brake light bulbs (especially in the center hi-mounted stop light) work when you press the brake pedal? Cruise control monitors operation of brake lights --- if a bulb is out, cruise may not engage.

• 5 months later...

On my '99 there was a bump-stop or something like it missing. The switch on the clutch pedal has a plunger that's pushed in when the pedal is up. The plunger was poking through the hole where the bump-stop used to be. The cruise control thought the clutch was in and wouldn't engage.

• Like 1

Exactly, my 98 Forester had the same problem, a quick adjustment so the clutch pedal depresses the switch and the cruise works again. Cost to fix = FREE. :D

FYI - There should be a nut on either side of the bracket - if one is missing find one the right size to hold the switch in place. Sandwich the bracket between the nuts with the plunger through the hole.

(Damn that sounds sleazy but its the only way to properly describe it!) ;)

Trento

98 Forester L 5 SP

• 10 years later...

After reading the comments, especially Scottbaru's, I went to the Subaru dealer. The part is called a "stopper." It costs $1.92. I ordered it and will get back to you all. In the mean time, I ducked taped a dime to cover the hole on the bracket, which the plunger goes through, on the pedal arm.

• 1 year later...

97' Impreza Outback Sport, M/T.

My problem was that the vacuum hose had come loose from (what I think is called) the servo. Popped it back on and presto, working like a champ. I think I jostled it loose when I was replacing my reverse light switch a couple of weeks ago. Checked the clutch pedal switch too, and the rubber stop thing is definitely about to wear out, so yea good to know...

Cruise Control Vacuum Line (Photo)

Edited by bodhicheetah

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One of the four bulbs in the high-mount brake light of my 2000 Legacy wagon went out, and I lost cruise control.  There are four bulbs, so you really got to take the cover off to check and be sure; one might be easy to miss. 

I also found one of my side brake lights was intermittently going out because of a loose connection (compressed socket contact tab), which could be manifested by lightly wiggling the bulb while on its socket.  This could explain why cruise control would only work for me intermittently in recent months.  Replaced bulb, tightened loose connection, and cruise control returned immediately. 

High-mount bulb type was a 912. Side brake bulbs are an 1157.

Edited by dirty_mech
  • Like 2