Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just had 4 Bridgestone Turanzas fitted onto my wifes "97 Legacy. She likes them and they seem to be up to the snow and ice we just faced here in Pa.

I need a recommendation for new tires for our '01 OBW Limited. I've looked at recommedations on Tirerack.com and am interested in Kumho Ectsas. They are far cheaper than Michelins but may not have the same mileage. Has anyone else any recommendations for some good high mileage passenger all season tires?:-\

I just had 4 Bridgestone Turanzas fitted onto my wifes "97 Legacy. She likes them and they seem to be up to the snow and ice we just faced here in Pa.

I need a recommendation for new tires for our '01 OBW Limited. I've looked at recommedations on Tirerack.com and am interested in Kumho Ectsas. They are far cheaper than Michelins but may not have the same mileage. Has anyone else any recommendations for some good high mileage passenger all season tires?:-\

I have the same question for my Mom's new '04 Legacy GT sedan. The Kumho brand seems to be the only resonable priced tire for her car. Anyone have these on there Roos, how do you like them?

People seen to rave about the GY Triple Tread but they are directional and don't fit my "rotate five tires" philosophy.

I have all season Regatta 2's because Consumer's Reports rated them very well for snow traction a few years ago. Alright in other catagories too, but not a performance tire. I think they were S speed rated and not H like OE.

If your wife likes the BS tires, get them. At least you can drive the car and see if you like them before you buy them for your car.

I have a set of the Kumho Ectsas. Not impressed, but for the $ they're ok. I drive in the Wash DC beltway and I seem to have had more punctures w/ these, but that may be coincidence. They seem to balance well, not esp. quiet w/ some miles on them and they don't seem to hold air pressure as well as other tires I've owned. You won't hate them, but I wouldn't get another set.

I have a set of B/F Traction T/A's as 3-Season tires on my Legacy. Though I can't speak for snow performance the tires are otherwise, in my opinion, one of the best balances between cost/performance/treadlife.

Has anyone tried the Michelin HydroEdge? I have heard good things but no personal experiences. Wanted to try them on my last purchase but they don't come lower than 55 profile. Might be a tire worth looking at...

-Heikki

I installed a set of Goodyear Triple Treds on my '99 Legacy Outback 6,000 miles ago. Living in Oregon, I do more than my share of driving in the rain and snow. These directional tires are the absolute best tire I've ever owned. They stick to the road like glue in the rain, and do quite well in snow too!

I've heard from a couple of local independant shops that the current Kumho tires are very bad. The early and higher end Kumhos were ok. They reported several blow outs and poor workmanship.

I bought some private labeled Uniroyal 70k tires, and was not impressed. Only got 39k out of them. 2 of the 4 had high spots on the outside. The shop got 2 for me, but were only able to get those, since they were discontinued. I took the 2 and gave them to my sister (ironically has the same size tires, different car) and bought 4, 40k tires. These Lee All Weather radials are not bad at all. Just got about 6 in of snow here... no complaints... Ride is quiet on dry roads too. We'll see how the longevity of these are compared to the 70k tires, paid about half as much. Lost the OEM Wilderness's to a knife to the sidewall @ 30k. They were pretty well gone too...

Got rid of my GY Regatta 2's last year. After year 2 with them, lots of tread but performance dramatically dropped.

After much review, I was going for the Michelin X-One. At that time, they were on their way out and were being replaced by the Michelin Harmony. Could have gotten a set of the X-One's before they went but went with the Harmony. WOW!!!!!!!!!! Into year 2 now and I DO NOT miss my Regatta 2's!! Good traction all around and VERY quiet on my 95 Legacy sedan! Can't believe I lived with the noise of the GY's!

Also talked to my tire guy about the Hydro-Edge from Michelin and he gave them rave reviews except he felt the Harmony would be a better choice for winter/snow driving.

On the subject of tires, I have an odd question. . .

We are starting to get the wet stuff here now and in situations where any cars would hydroplane, my Legacy acts like I just hit the brakes (going into the puddle, for example, when the tires hit the deep water, it is like I just dropped an anchor). Tracking is straight and true, no handling issues at all, just a sudden speed drop. Is this normal, or is this an indication of a problem (other than bald tires)? I noticed this in FWD cars for many years as a good safety factor (when the front tires loose traction, you slow down until they regain it. . .) This dive is more pronounced though, and I do not feel any of the side slip that FWD cars have tended to give under those conditions. . .

Hi dacarzi.

I'm in Philadelphia too (just outside the city in Delaware County) and I put Michelin Harmony tires on my 98 Legacy L last year. I HIGHLY recommend them. Had no trouble at all in last year's snow and looking forward to what this winter brings. Check out the Harmony on tirerack.com.

I got my mine at a Valley Forge Auto shop. They install them, balance them for free and give you a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty where they'll replace a tire for free if it's damaged or punctured. I'll have to find my receipt and see how much i paid...but i think it was worth it to go with the Michelin Harmony tire.

- Ed