Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A-MOD Autocross car

onebadbug

I have a tube frame car that was motorcycle powered, then beetle, and now is going to be Subaru. I had a 2300 bug engine that was more power than I really needed, but it exploded. I was gifted a 2.5 Legacy short block, and a 2.2 complete engine. I have searched the forums quite a bit, but had no luck finding

any information about the particular issues I have.

My first question is whether any limited slip diffs, from other models, are readily available for a 80's 2 wheel drive transaxle?

Next is whether there is any known issues with putting the 2.2 single cam heads on the 2.5 block? It looks like there is no problem to me.

Steve

I put a photo of my car on the member gallery.

Or try this link

http://www.autosportsnorthwest.org/albums/2002event1/cart_event1_01.sized.jpg

Hi Steve. Do you know Anthony? He drives a white civic...

You can put the 2.5 crank, pistons, and heads on the 2.2 block for a higher compression dual cam engine with 2.2 reliablility without the 2.5 head gasket vulnerablility.

aside from this forum, legacycentral.org will be a good resource for you. nasioc.com is OK too but mostly turbo talk.

You can put the 2.5 crank, pistons, and heads on the 2.2 block for a higher compression dual cam engine with 2.2 reliablility without the 2.5 head gasket vulnerablility.

Yeah, He and his girlfriend took my driver's school.

The heads look like no problem, but I still need to know about the diff. Even with the beetle motor, my car was roasting the inside tire.

hm. the best we've found for front differentials is phantom grip

http://www.phantomgrip.com/product_lists.php?make=Subaru

I dont' know if any of us have tried them though due to expense.

I also wonder if you'd want a 90's 2WD transaxle instead on an 80's, as you're talking about a much stronger engine than the 80s transaxles were built to take, and putting it to full time heavy duty use.

I assume you're using a VW transaxle now?

Yeah, He and his girlfriend took my driver's school.

The heads look like no problem, but I still need to know about the diff. Even with the beetle motor, my car was roasting the inside tire.

Right, VW transaxle. The car is so light ~800 lbs, that the strain on the trans is minimal, my current trans is bone stock. I just thought 80's thinking it might be lighter, certainly easier to get for cheap at pull-n-save, 2 wheel drive much more common than. As I was told, Subaru's last year for 2 wheel drive at all was ~97?