Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pick-N-Pull 1/2 price weekend

The Oakland one seems to change a lot. I went there, found a coupla old school Subaru's...went back 2 weeks later and they were ALL gone. From what I remember of the Japanese area...nearly all the cars had been replaced. I was blown away.

Regardless I will be in Oakland Saturday seeing what I can find.

Back in the late 1980's while I was at seminary in Newton, MA, I had my own on-campus business. I called it "Rick's Theological Pit n' Pulpit". I did revivals and healings of great reknown. In between times, I also found time to study, go to classes, drive the seminary president to the airport (I also fixed his car), have a daughter, graduate and get a job. Down in the town of Walpole (of whose notoriety came of the Walpole State Prison... a r-e-a-l-l-l-l-y bad place... the tonwspeople got so stigmatized by having their town's name associated with "Walpole" (namely the Prison) that they petitioned the state of Massachusetts to chnage the name of the prison to something a bit more innocuous, a bit more cheerful, a bit more, say, welcoming. So the state chnaged the prison's name to ... get this... "Cedar Junction"! But, I digress), was THE most wonderful jonque yard on Earth. I was named "Goldie's", and it was over 50 acres of pick-yer-own cars, organized in neat rows by make, with noses pointing out, and forklift service if you needed to raise the car up onto Jersey barriers. On the first of the month, at 7:00 AM they would hold "Goldie's Grabathon". For an entry fee of $25, one, or two, or three could enter and rush to your desired carcass. I would go around campus during the week and take orders, and then go down on Thursday to scope out my stuff. On Saturday, I'd borrow the seminary's wheelbarrow, get a car hood, load all my 'stash ontp the barrowhood, and motor it to the gate, and stash it there. No one messed with it. At 1:00 PM, it was closing time. The deal was... if you caould carry it, it was yours. So... two guys could carry a hood full of stash easier than one. It was a real manly right of passage, replete with the Greek chorus of other grunters and stashers. One time, we had so much stuff on our hood, it just collapsed. Folded in two. The gatekeeper said,

"Awwww... what a shame. But you know the rules. Ya' gotta carry it. (Quick! What to grab and what to leave?) But..." he said," I'm gonna turn around and have a smoke. I don't wanna' see you guys usin' that wheelbarrow." (Quick, get the wheelbarrow) "I'm smokin'... I sure hope you're not usin' that wheelbarrow...."

Like I said, the place was wonderful. One day as I was wrenching, I saw this flannel-shirted V-shaped guy frequently walking by me and scopin' me out. I thought he was just an employee making sure no one had a power saw. Turned out he as the "muscle" for four guys who were stripping a Chevy C-30 stake body. At the finish line (gate), Mr. V-shape squats down like a Russian weightlifter, they put a 10 foot pipe across his shoulders, load up four brand new 19" tires and Budd wheels onto the pipe, the guy turns red, lets out a roar, arises and crabwalks across the finish line... to the lusty cheers of the all-manly-man chorus. Like I said... it was the ultimate in male bonding! And that's what I did in seminary.

Rev. Rick (who still fixes his own)