Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spark Plug Type O2 Sensor

Guest brokechump

Guest brokechump

I'm driving an 81 GL wagon with EA81 and Hitachi carb (fresh rebuild from Roo-Builders). I need to replace my O2 sensor and everyone is telling me the single wire universal will work for my car. But I see TWO wires coming from my O2 sensor with a spark plug type boot on it. Does anyone have a source or suggestion for replacing the sensor? I'm trying to pass emissions in northern VA. Although I may not pass the iron oxide inspection...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

-Dan

81 GL wagon...with the Cyclops!

Guest shanonsf

hey there-

i have the same set-up (ea81 w/ Roo-builders hitachi)

Bosch makes a universal- #11027 (0 258 001 027 009)

$30-50.00, ask for warantee or return policy, i got burned on a 'dud'

might want to replace the cat while your at it.....just in case

i just have to unplugged my EGR passage to pass :mad:

good luck!

shanonsf

82 GLW

Guest brokechump

After giving up on finding a replacement for the spark plug boot type sensor I sliced open the wiring harness to figure out where everything went and to splice in the new single wire Denso (234-1011) which I cross listed with a part number the subaru steeler gave me. Of course still not the right part. Here's what I found...the two wire set up has a bare wire and white insulated wire, the white insulated wire goes to the sensor and the bare wire forms some kind of shield around the white wire inside the shrink wrap sock over both. I spliced the white wire to the wire coming off the new O2 sensor and have no idea if this worked or not. Anyone know the function of the bare wire in this set up? Always curious...

Guest archemitis

i would bet ground. the closer the ground is to the sensor, the quicker and more accurate reading. couldnt you just use the single wire sensor from a spfi. i have the same setup and wonder if a newer sensor would fit. the all go off 1volt right?

Guest brokechump

One more thing I forgot to mention...the bare wire that shields the insulated white wire terminates about half an inch from the sensor and connects to nothing. That's the way I found it, don't know if a P.O. changed something or not...