Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Spark Plug Type O2 Sensor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brokechump_*

Guest_brokechump_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2003 - 05:14 AM

I'm driving an 81 GL wagon with EA81 and Hitachi carb (fresh rebuild from Roo-Builders). I need to replace my O2 sensor and everyone is telling me the single wire universal will work for my car. But I see TWO wires coming from my O2 sensor with a spark plug type boot on it. Does anyone have a source or suggestion for replacing the sensor? I'm trying to pass emissions in northern VA. Although I may not pass the iron oxide inspection...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

-Dan

81 GL wagon...with the Cyclops!

#2 Guest_shanonsf_*

Guest_shanonsf_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2003 - 05:56 PM

hey there-
i have the same set-up (ea81 w/ Roo-builders hitachi)

Bosch makes a universal- #11027 (0 258 001 027 009)
$30-50.00, ask for warantee or return policy, i got burned on a 'dud'
might want to replace the cat while your at it.....just in case

i just have to unplugged my EGR passage to pass :mad:

good luck!

shanonsf
82 GLW

#3 Guest_brokechump_*

Guest_brokechump_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2003 - 12:06 PM

After giving up on finding a replacement for the spark plug boot type sensor I sliced open the wiring harness to figure out where everything went and to splice in the new single wire Denso (234-1011) which I cross listed with a part number the subaru steeler gave me. Of course still not the right part. Here's what I found...the two wire set up has a bare wire and white insulated wire, the white insulated wire goes to the sensor and the bare wire forms some kind of shield around the white wire inside the shrink wrap sock over both. I spliced the white wire to the wire coming off the new O2 sensor and have no idea if this worked or not. Anyone know the function of the bare wire in this set up? Always curious...

#4 Guest_archemitis_*

Guest_archemitis_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2003 - 04:00 PM

i would bet ground. the closer the ground is to the sensor, the quicker and more accurate reading. couldnt you just use the single wire sensor from a spfi. i have the same setup and wonder if a newer sensor would fit. the all go off 1volt right?

#5 Guest_brokechump_*

Guest_brokechump_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2003 - 11:32 AM

One more thing I forgot to mention...the bare wire that shields the insulated white wire terminates about half an inch from the sensor and connects to nothing. That's the way I found it, don't know if a P.O. changed something or not...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users