Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does this sound like I need new head gaskets?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wighti

wighti

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • NJ

Posted 19 August 2003 - 01:16 PM

I took a ride up to my bank and on the way there the temp gauge went up to the redline. I let it cool, then on the way home it went back up but drove fine. When I got home it was steaming but no fluid was bursting. I let it cool overnight and now when I start it up it doesn't suck the fluid into the engine it just pushes it out.
The fluid comes out brown like there's oil in it.???
Can you help?
Please
thanks
Sean

#2 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 19 August 2003 - 01:45 PM

Whitey:

Sure sounds like a blown HG too me...

Not sure exactly what you mean by the fluid being pushed out. If you are talking about the coolant, and you mean it's not "pressurized", it could be due to low.

But in any case, oily residue in the coolant is a sure sign that you have a leaky gasket. A second opinion from a mechanic doing some diagnostics should confirm it.

Not the end of the world, but you've got a job on your hands.

good luck, John

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 19 August 2003 - 03:01 PM

also look for a sludge that looks like wendy's frostee in the oil. if you have to drive the car anyway, and you are getting coolant in the oil, drain the coolant and replace it with straight water, and run with the cap off.

coolant in the oil will eat away the bearings in the bottom end

#4 wighti

wighti

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • NJ

Posted 20 August 2003 - 01:39 AM

Well, it looks like I'll be changeing the gaskets after I buy a engine puller.:(
Atleast that will come in handy when I put my ACT clutch in my RS to handle the power of my T U R B O kit.:headbang:
:burnout: :burnout:
:burnout: :burnout:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users