I understand BLINKING CEL is worse than regular light. How bad it is to drive around with it?
c) Any suggestions on diagnosing – I am planning doing a compression test on cylinder 2?
The intriguing thing is that I had cylinder 2 misfire (stead light) a few months ago before I blew head gasket.
Here is sequence of events.
- STEADY CEL with cylinder 2 misfire in June – I reset it, problem never occurred again. Since the same misfire with blinking was detected now, I am wondering if they linked.
- Blew head gasket on way to LA over Grapevine steep grade
- Yesterday I just finished replaced head gasket, clutch, timing belt, spark plugs. Cylinder 2 spark plug seemed fine when I replaced it. It was Bosch aftermarket before, I replaced with same
- Car started first try, however had smoke coming from RIGHT side (Cylinder 1/3) exhaust manifold which reduced after around 10 minutes. I ripped out exhaust manifold to see if I left a paper rag in head or in manifold, none found. I am wondering if the blinking CEL is pointing to a problem here that is not registered on computer – hence the question a) above.
- Took car for a spin – BLINKING CEL comes on
- Today OBD II reads cylinder 2 misfire