Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear drive shafts in the front?

I ahve a 90 legacy. can someone tell me if hte rear half shafts by some miracle have hte same part number as the fronts? I can't find any fronts, and they are really expensive reman or new in the UK. I know where there are 2 perfect rears and I want to know if the outboard cv joint will mathc up. This would pretty much save me, so please help.

a shout out to shan and Brian.

No. Sorry they don't interchange since the rears don't need to turn the car, they don't have the same CV joint on the outside. Try www.cvaxles.com for a decent price and quality on re-manned axles.

I ahve a 90 legacy. can someone tell me if hte rear half shafts by some miracle have hte same part number as the fronts? I can't find any fronts, and they are really expensive reman or new in the UK. I know where there are 2 perfect rears and I want to know if the outboard cv joint will mathc up. This would pretty much save me, so please help.

a shout out to shan and Brian.

No. Sorry they don't interchange since the rears don't need to turn the car, they don't have the same CV joint on the outside. Try www.cvaxles.com for a decent price and quality on re-manned axles.

I live in the UK now and its going to cost me a fortune to get them shipped. Did you look it uP? I don't mean to be rude... I know they are not stubs like on the old ea81's or 82's. I know there is an outbord cv joint and an inboard doj and that the shafts must be apporximately the same length.... and I also know that the rears probably last for ever......

I live in the UK now and its going to cost me a fortune to get them shipped. Did you look it uP? I don't mean to be rude... I know they are not stubs like on the old ea81's or 82's. I know there is an outbord cv joint and an inboard doj and that the shafts must be apporximately the same length.... and I also know that the rears probably last for ever......

!stSubaruparts lists the front axle at 100.76 + core charge and the rear at 215 and no core charge (they must be new then). So they are not the same.

Moreover the front differential is wider (I think) than the rear and thus the rear shafts must be a bit longer. Finally, I've never heard of anyone having used rear shafts in the front or the other way around.

Sorry, miracles rarely happen in the technological field.

Good luck!

I saved all the axles from my 90 Legacy before I junked it and the front and rear shafts look similar but they are different, the most noticable difference is the lenght of the splinded area. I had to tag them so that I would not think they were fronts when I put them away.

I knew it was a long shot, but I had to take a chance. My legacy is pretty rare here in hte UK and I already took all the shafts off all the cars (one!) on the yard. I am pretty sure that a peice of the cage has snapped out on the drivers side (right side) because after hard lock it pinches and binds up and then goes band and then its OK for a little while. also, the clydes dales have stopped chasing me when its warm. only when its cold. Its obviously bad. hte bang noise is quite violent.

I ahve a 200 mile round trip tonight. the only good news is that i am picking up my previously screwed axels and making a "compliation mix" at some point in the next month. how exciting what with my exams and disertation coming.