Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First Post: Newbie that would like other Subaru Owners Input

Hello,

I just purchased my first Subaru. It is a 1995 Legacy Brighton. I bought it for $1980. What really attracted me was when I drove it. It also has a 5 speed. Is there any issues I should be looking at so I can drive it to the ground? It has 152000 on the odo and has a replacement engine in it because the 1st one blew up. It has only one noticeable problem. At the back of the engine almost by the tranny there is a small leak that leaks onto the exhaust. I only notice this when I stop and I can see smoke and it smells really bad. It doesn't smell like 10-30W though. I talked to a mechanic and he said there is a plastic plate with a seal that goes bad in the tranny and the tranny has to be removed to do this. I really love this car. It's just as reliable as my Toyota!

Thanks and have happy new year!

Beau

Is it the 2.2 or 2.5 engine? You're not too far from Chef Tim and Vickaroo. Introduce yourself. It sounds like a tranny seal leak? Check the transmission fluid level.

It's the 2.2. I was just going to post something on this. I'm not familiar with the 2.2 or any sub motors at all. Where are Chef Tim and Vickaroo located? Whre should I Introduce myself? This is a great web site. I always get the best ideas from message boards. They always save me a lot of time, money, and energy!

Welcome aboard. I recently started driving a 95 Legacy LSi wagon. It has the overdrive auto tranny, though. I have 156,000 miles on the original 2.2. I think you will love the 2.2. It seems to be a very durable engine that is a joy to work on as far as routine maintenance type things. (Oil changes and spark plug swaps are a snap--so easy to reach everything...)

I would definitely find out if the car has had its timing belt replaced. If you can't verify this for sure, go ahead and have it replaced. It is supposed to be done at the 100,000 mile mark. Now, you'll also need to find out exactly when the replacement engine was put in the car and the story behind it. Was it pulled from a salvage yard Subie? If so, what model/year and how many miles were on the doner car? It is possible that your engine could actually have more miles than your car. Of course, it is also possible that the engine has much fewer miles as well. Still you need to get the story on it.

I would definitely find out if the car has had its timing belt replaced. If you can't verify this for sure, go ahead and have it replaced. It is supposed to be done at the 100,000 mile mark.

Actually they need to be changed 60,000 on 2.2 motors.

The 2.2 is one of the best motors subaru has ever made. And 1st generation legacies are great. I have seen many examples with over 300,000.

Are you sure it is an oil leak?

Could be a cv boot leaking onto the exhaust. Also the front of the engines tend to leak, oil pump, cam seals, etc so it might be up there and then as you drive it going towards the back of the engine.

Welcome to the board!

Thanks for the replies this really helps. I have learned a lot about subarus just by this web site. I'm taking my subaru to the mechanic tomorrow and I am going to have him fix the leak regardless of where it is at. The motor that was put in my car had 105,000 miles on it and the car had 151,000 on it. So it's a little less according to the guy who put it in. I'm not sure what it came out of but I don't really care as long as it runs! I'm having the timing belt replaced because I've owned a few Hondas, Nissans, Toyotas and that is the first thing I usually do when I buy and OHC vehicle with no maintanence history. Thanks for all the help.