Ultimate Subaru Message Board

p/s groan while turning on 2001:under warranty?

I brought my spouse's 2001 legacy wagon to the dealership today to diagnose a problem with a groaning noise from the power steering and steering wheel vibration that happens when turning at low speeds. The problem apparently is with the high pressure hoses, that have to be replaced. I was told that this was not normally covered under the 5 year warranty, (the 3 year warranty expired 3 months ago) but the dealer said he would put in a request to have Subaru cover the cost (I don't know the outcome of this yet).

I believe this is the subject of service bulletin 04-11-04, but I don't have access to it, and the dealer is rather vague when describing what the actual problem is. Is this a systemic problem from defective hoses that the manufacturer should be fixing at their cost in any case? Has any one else had the same experience? I also have a 2001 legacy limited, which I think is starting to show the same problems. Just coincidence?

Service bulletins are covered by the manufacturer while under warranty. If it's outside of warranty then you have to pay for it.

Recalls are covered by the manufacterer whether in warranty or not.

That means you'd have to do some research in what exactly your 5 year warranty covers. In the states, you have 3yr/36000 mile bumper to bumper (everything) and 5yr/60000 engine & powertrain. I think that since it is so close to your 3 year warranty being out, they need to come up with something. Maybe they cover the parts and you pay for labor or something like that?